Okay so my friend recently gave me an old phone of his which had no service. I tried putting another sim card in and...?

it didn't let me activate it. what would I need to do in order to have service with another carrier. (he had boost with a sprint sim card and I want to use a metro pcs sim card)

• SRΛSC
    Favorite Answer

You'd have to get it unlocked, or flashed (as is the case with CDMA carriers which Boost, Sprint & metroPCS* are)

*though since metroPCS was bought by T-Mobile which is a GSM carrier. Not sure what the specifics are in that case.

• L

You did not tell us which phone. If it is a locked phone that can be used only with a certain service provider and the service provider you want to use does not allow the phone to be used by multiple service providers, then switching the SIM won't let that magically happen.

• Mmm J
      2 years agoReport

And with that response, we still don't know if it is locked to a carrier or not.