I read somewhere rubbing Alcohol will defrost windows ,my question will it also ruin the finish of a car?

That will melt frost and ice right away. You need the heater to clear fog after the frost is gone.

• ?

It won't hurt the paint but if the paint is waxed it will strip the wax. I have used both alcohol and glycol based deicers... pretty much the same action.

a better idea - get a product called Anti Fog, sold in auto parts stores...............when it's applied to the inside of any window ( or even household mirrors ) it will prevent the window from fogging up

• Phil M

Rubbing alcohol will not harm a vehicles paint.

• Ron

I use rubbing alcohol to get tree sap off my paint.

• ?

Not if you don't get it on the paint.

No. Keep it off of the finish.

Better idea would be to simply let your car idle a few minutes and let the defroster do it's job.

We've had freezing fog and freezing rain here for the past 3 days and overnight accumulation of ice is quite thick. We just let our cars idle a few minutes and that loosens the ice so that the scraper takes it off easily.

Rubbing alcohol will change the temperature in your windshield rapidly and cause microscopic cracks to expand. Keep doing it and those cracks will eventually join up and keep expanding. Don't do it.

If you use it on the windows then how is it going to ruin your cars finish? Washer fluid has alcohol in it in case you don't know and it gets on the cars finish.