Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicComics & Animation · 2 years ago

Why was Stan Lee credited as being the driving force behind Marvel Comics when he wasn't even the FOUNDER?

I'm a little curious about confused. Stan Lee was known as the driving force behind Marvel Comics. Lee was editor-in-chief, publisher, and chairman of Marvel Comics for 3 decades before retiring in the 1990's but still represented the company. After retiring Lee took on an advisoral/consultory role for the people at Marvel.

Some people think he FOUNDED Marvel which is not correct. Martin Goodman founded the company:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Goodman_(publ...

Lee became a public figurehead for Marvel, and he did help put the company on the map, but why was he considered to be the driving force behind it when he didn't even found it?

Please help- thank you.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Stan Lee co-created many of Marvel's most popular heroes, and was the writer of many of their comics in the 1960s. It was clear he was the creative force of the company during the 60s and 70s, alongside artist Jack Kirby.

• 2 years ago

Perhaps it was his characters and concepts that give him that credit. He was a comic genius.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

I'm well aware that Stan Lee didn't create Marvel, but Marvel wouldn't be anything without him. Iron Man, Spider Man, Hulk, and so on, he created them. If Stan Lee wasn't a member of Marvel, I'd say the company wouldn't be anywhere near as successful as it is today. He is the driving force behind Marvel, despite not creating it.

• why are you all hung up on the semantics of "driving force"? no one is erroneously claiming he founded the company, and it does not mean the same thing.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.