How do judge and jury decide the amounts I get after won the lawsuits?

Trying think how they get numbers. Plus punishment on top of damages.

Example: I hiring several contractors for additional building on my home. Let say I hired 6 different subs where contract already signed by all of them. Now after first sub finish dig the ground. The foundation contractor showed up and did the work but only half completed then quit in middle of project. The first sub cannot backfill the grounds until foundations complete. Now the guy who supposed to backfill the ground have to charge me 300 a day to leave backhoe on my backyard. It took me 15 days to look for new contractors to finished the foundation. When new contractors showed up, they don't want to finished what first contractor does. So have to tear all foundations down to start again. Now that cost me 20,000 dollars more because of put another foundation up again also backhoe being sitting backyard waiting for foundation to complete. Plus materials goes up for framing and roofing because I order it from lumberyard later than it should be all because of first foundation contractor.

Let say totals is 20,000. Plus attorney fees and punishment fees. Do it mean court will grant me 60,000 bucks plus 10,000 for attorney fees? Is that how it added up when won the lawsuits?

• lucy
    1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

When you hire a contractor to do a job, then the (contractor) will hire any sub contractors to do specific jobs that the contractor can't do. If something goes wrong with the sub contractor, then the contractor will hire someone else. When my house caught fire back in 1995, then the contractor that the insurance hired and paid for handled everything. Any other subs, was/were from this contractor.

Now (unless) the contract you signed with the contractor stated that (you) had to find/hire the sub contractors, then maybe, but to me that does not make sense. When most people add a room, remodel a kitchen etc, they can't do themselves, thus hire a company that does.

Jury or just a judge there is NO rule on how much you can collect. They could decide to award what you lost which is $20,000 and that is it. Attorney fees in many cases not reimbursed. Then there is the problem collecting, since may find a judgement and not get a dime.

Look, I am a insurance adjuster who handled many injury claims. The MYTH I see out there over and over is that insurance will pay (3) times the medical bills. lol. We pay based on the injury, like whiplash, could be about 1 time or (less) or a serious injury like scarring, burns or surgery could be 7/8 times, since serious. But in reality we still don't use the (times) number, but will add a number on top of the medical bills. So if you have $3,500 in medical for whiplash, then pay $4,500 or, if arm broken, surgery, rehab with bills of $20,000 may pay $35,000 as an example.

She need to do something else but make up all kinds of lawsuit scenarios.

• xyzzy
    1 year ago

If you hired the subs you are acting as the general contractor. You can sue the foundation contractor. But the charge for the backhoe is your responsibility as the general contractor.

• Greedy1 year agoReport

So court won't grant me for backhoe fees even if foundation contractors fault for cause the increase of backhoe fee then

• Clive
    1 year ago

A jury won't be involved. There isn't one in civil cases like this. PLEASE try to learn the difference between civil and criminal law. The judge decides based on your actual financial loss.

• Greedy1 year agoReport

So do judge will accept 20,000 as loss or will cut down amounts?

1 year ago

The jury doesn't decide that.