Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 2 years ago

Why did Michael Cohen lie to Congress about all of Trump's business dealings in Russia?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

President Trump’s former personal attorney Michael Cohen pleaded guilty Thursday in New York to lying to Congress about a Moscow real estate project that Trump and his company pursued at the same time he was running for president.

[Michael Cohen plea agreement from the special counsel’s office]

In a nine-page filing, prosecutors laid out a litany of lies that Cohen admitted he told to congressional lawmakers about the Moscow project — an attempt, Cohen said, to minimize links between the proposed development and Trump as his presidential bid was well underway.

Cohen’s guilty plea — his second in four months — is the latest development in a wide-ranging investigation by special counsel Robert S. Mueller III into Russian interference in the 2016 election. Activity in that probe has intensified this week, as one planned guilty plea was derailed, and, separately, prosecutors accused Trump’s former campaign chairman Paul Manafort of lying to them since he pleaded guilty.

• 2 years ago

The big question has to be: Was he lying then or now?

Why would he lie now? Mueller has threatened to jail him for 5 years but could reduce it if he "cooperates".

• ?
    Lv 5
    2 years ago

Out of loyalty to Trump, or fear of him.

• 2 years ago

follow the money

• 2 years ago

It was to hide my illegal activities. Unfortunately, Putin found out about those illegal activities and now he's making me dance like a marionette! He's already informed me that the United States will be doing nothing about Russian moves to block the Sea of Azov off from Ukraine nor about Russian attacks on Ukrainian vessels.

Also I have to answer to the name "Donna".

• 2 years ago

It wouldn't do to have a Presidential candidate to be seen as in thick with a dictator of a country that's also a possible enemy in the future. Cohen had been a toady for Trump for years. Cohen had been a member of the Trumpino Crime Family, and he would be expected to lie for Donald "Vito" Trump. Cohen turned on Trump when it became apparent that Trump had no inclination to pardon Cohen on any federal charges.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

That was Michael Cohen 's job ,all those years -- lying for Trump?

• 2 years ago

To align with Trump's lies about his business dealings in Russia.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.