Kelsey asked in PetsDogs · 2 years ago

How do I get my dog officially registered as an Emotional Support or Service Dog?

I have a form of autism and many other mental illnesses. I was wondering how I could get my dog registered as an ESA without just buying a vest online which is something I don't think is right. Please and thank you!

Sorry to ask such a sensitive question guys. I hope I didn't hurt your feelings while asking this triggering question. (ahem sarcasm) Get a life.

Favorite Answer

You cant Cos there is no legally recognised registry for such dogs Also esd's are very very far from being a service dog indeed.... see chart below for detail

If youre autistic and need a SERVICE DOG, dont touch any online registries, talk to a program or start researching laws, to start.

wow guess what I saw at my local Walmart? a new sign that "service animals are welcome" Emotional support dogs are not service dogs and not allowed in the store !!!!!

YEA WALMART

"Mental illness" isn't a disability so you can't have a Service Dog. Service Dogs are trained to do tasks for their owner the owner can't do for themselves.

All you "quality" for is an ESA which is JUST A PET. You can't take it to stores, to your job, to school, etc. You MAY be able to have it live where dogs are allowed but ONLY if the landlord decides to let you and ONLY if you have a signed note from your doctor or therapist saying they "recommend" a dog.

There's no legitimate registries on line for ESA's because there's no one meeting the dog, seeing that it's well trained, etc. IT IS JUST YOUR PET.

So sick of you people wanting to abuse the Americans with Disabilities Act. What is your point of wanting to call it an ESA, anyway?

FYI it's a FELONY to call a dog a Service Dog that isn't one. http://www.dogingtonpost.com/fake-service-dogs-bec...

There is NO "registry".

You must be DISABLED to have a service dog. Having autism or otyer issues doesnt necessarily qualify you as disabled. The dog has to be trained to perform tasks to mitigate the disability (comfort, calming you or making you feel safe/calm are NOT service dog tasks) the dog must be able to perform in public, without being distracted, without showing ANY form of aggression, begging for food or attention, being disruptive, or unhousebroken.

Emotional support animals require a note from the Dr who is treating you. They are NOT service dogs, not allowef in public. Only fair housing laws and airline access laws cover them.. Both with restrictions or exclusions. You need to request reasonable accomodation and get permission before moving the dog into a rental or onto an airplane. You cant just show up with papers you purchased online and expect entitlement.

You can't

yOur pets will never be anything other then a pet. There is no refigsiter for ESA and they are not allowed any where pets are not allowed

• D50

Just buy the vest and bluff your way through getting the dog on the airplane.