What should I do when stuck between two great theatre opportunities?

So recently I have been offered a chance to stage manage a play with a theatre company I know very well and have been in for a while. I've never done it before and it's an amazing opportunity that I really wanna do! The only problem is my school musical. We are doing Les Miserables and since I'm a senior, it's my last chance to be in a show. If I chose to stage manage, then I would miss three or four beginning rehearsals according to the calendar. But since it's still two months till the actual show, I don't know if I would even be called, or heck if I even get a part! But I can't wait till the actual cast list comes out, because that would mean there would only be one week till the tech week for the play and I can't make them wait that long! I don't what I should do. It feels like I have to choose one or the other, but at the same time, it is possible that things could work out! It just so difficult since there is no way to know for sure if they will conflict. What should I do?

• Cogito
    Best Answer

As AJ says - see if you can do some negotiating and juggle things.

Recently my daughter was in very intensive rehearsals for two plays, on opposite sides of the city, where she had leading roles in both. She made both directors aware of the situation, and they managed to arrange things so it could work, and it did.

She was also performing in the first few weeks of a Christmas-theme kids' experience every other day, (which she's now doing full-time until Xmas Eve) and working a part-time 'ordinary' job at the same time.

Actors do have to be able to multi-task!

What you don't want to do is accept an opportunity, and then renege.

Trust and commitment are imperative.

(I knew a guy who got quite a reputation for doing just that - once word got out, no theatres in town would work with him - he'd left several people in the lurch.)

If I were you, I'd take the stage managing opportunity AND I'd work on the backstage stuff for Les Mis - and make yourself available for small parts and understudies.

When you audition you should tell the school your conflicts. They may be able to accommodate a few rehearsals if you let them know ahead of time.

Most theater people juggle multiple projects at the same time. It is just part of the process.

And good for you that you are looking for SM gigs. They often pay better than acting and it is always a good thing to expose yourself to several aspects of a production in addition to acting.

Source(s): IMO actors should stage manage, produce, direct and provide other creative services at least once during their career. It gives a clear picture of just how much collaboration goes into a production.

If your lifelong passion is Theater than you should choose to stage manage a show. It could lead to more opportunities in the future and looks great on your resume/portfolio for future productions and shows. If you are able to do both great but I wouldn’t pass an opportunity that big if there is no guarantee you will even be cast in your schools musical.