My water ph has jumped up to 8.8 ppm!?

My water ph has jumped up to 8.8 ppm!

What can I do to lower it to make it safe for my Betta fish?! Thank-you for any answers the ph at 8.8 ppm is straight from my faucet not in my tank.

• Akeath
    Best Answer

You are likely getting a falsely high reading from your tap. There are some gases in tap water fresh out of the tap that can cause the test kit to read it as a much higher pH than it actually is. Put your water in a bucket and aerate it for 24 hours, then test it again. You'll likely get a much lower reading at that point. Or you can test it once it is in the tank, assuming you don't have anything that would change the pH in the water (driftwood, indian almond leaves, certain rocks) after the water has been in the tank for 24 hours and that will also give you a true pH reading.

My water always tests off the chart high when I test it straight from the tap. But when I let it aerate/gas out, the true pH is 7.4 pH. Bettas can easily adjust to between 5.5-8.5 pH. If your true pH is above that, then adding some peat to the filter in a filter bag will lower the pH quite a bit. Aquarium safe driftwood and Indian Almond Leaves will do the same thing, but to a lesser degree.

• Thank-you so much I was starting to begin to wonder if it was even drinkable with that high of a ph, even though it’s city water. Thanks again!

Take a sample of your water to PetSmart and they will be able to do a free water testing

• I already have an api Freshwater master test kit which checks the ammonia, ph, nitrite, and nitrates.

• PR

Are you changing the water a lot? Stop changing the water. Bettas like old water, not fresh, new water.

If you know anyone with a fish tank, borrow some of their water.

Change no more than 50% of the water at any time, and not frequently.