Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 year ago

What’s the cost of living now compared to the 1950s? Higher? Lower?

Why could men afford to take their wives anywhere in the 1950s, but now it’s more difficult?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • larry1
    Lv 6
    1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

It's a good question because it's hard to say. Our technology, economy, social/ economic classes are so different now. someone should do a study on it and get all the facts/ figures and compare, maybe a sociologist, economist etc.

I'd say roughly....about the same. Of course the value assigned to dollars change, but that always does and is meaningless. But the cost of life I'd say is now about the same.

Costs that are the same....mortgages/ housing, utilities, college education, medical care.

Costs that are more now...taxes on all but the rich, retrograde taxes/ fees aimed at the poor (criminal fines, user fees, license fees, traffic tickets, cigarette taxes are way more now). Gasoline. Beef and good food, lower end restaurants, in person entertainment.

Costs that are less now...cars, air transportation, vacations, cheap and processed food, junk food, turkey, electronic entertainment, TV's, all electronic stuff/ appliances, clothing.

So, about the same....note...cost of living in 1964-2000 was less than the 50's, so if it's the same now our cost of living is now the highest since the 50's.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 year ago

I am Better off today than i was in 1955

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

Haha, interesting example! However, the cost of living, when taking into account inflation, is still a bit higher now than it was in the 1950s. The USA is not producing at such an economic rate now as it was in the post-war 50s, so it can't quite compare with living costs anyway as COL if naturally higher now, anyway.

• Who
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

lower in absolute terms- (cos things cost less)

but relative to income - about the same

(if things cost 2x as much today then the cost of living has gone up - but if people earn 2x as much then in relative terms it aint changed)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • xyzzy
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

The cost of living has risen. The average household income in 1950 was $3300, today (2014) it is $51017. in 1950 the median home price was 2.2 times average income, today it is 3.7 times. A car in 1950 was .45 the average income now it is .61.

• 1 year ago

I think he cost of living was lower in the 1950s because the lifestyle was so much simpler.

In the 1950s

Almost no one had much in the way of electronic devices. Until the later 1950s most people did not have television sets, and portable radios were non-existent.

Telephone service was more expensive so many people used party lines. (You could not own your own phone, you had to rent one from the phone company.)

Few people had air conditioning. Movie theaters were always busier on hot days because they were air conditioned and people would go to the movies to cool off.

Most people in cities walked to the corner grocery store, and shopping malls did not exist.

Most people would darn socks if they got a hole in them. Some people would wear clothes with matches on knees or elbows.

A lot of homeowners had vegetable gardens.

There were fewer choices available at grocery stores. A lot of fresh fruits and veggies were only available in season.

People often lived within walking distance of their place of employment.

A lot of people sewed some of their own clothes.

Cars were simpler. Many cars did not have radios, and air conditioning in a car was rare. Some people didn't pay extra for an automatic transmission.

Source(s): Mostly my recollections, though I was quite young then.
    • AndyF
      Lv 5
      1 year agoReport

As Bob Hope said, thanks for the memories !

• 1 year ago

The cost of living is now much higher than it was in the 1950s.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

For one thing, we are expected to pay large bills for technical services like ISPs and of course laptops, i phones cable etc.

I would take a hot open face sandwich over an i-phone any day.

• 1 year ago

probably higher

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

Higher

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.