rob asked in Cars & TransportationAircraft · 1 year ago

What are the minimum hours and ratings required to get a job flying for a charter service?

What does it pay at the entry level? How many hours would I fly per month? How hard is it to get a job doing that?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

For VFR flying, the legal minimum to act as pilot-in-command is 500 hours including at least 100 hours of cross-country flight time, at least 25 hours of which were logged at night; A commercial pilot certificate and instrument rating is required, and a multi-engine rating is needed if a multi-engine aircraft will be flown.

For IFR charter flying as pilot-in-command, a minimum of 1200 hours is required, including 500 hours of cross country flight time, 100 hours of night flight time, and 75 hours of actual or simulated instrument time at least 50 hours of which were logged in actual flight. For multi-engine or turbine powered aircraft, 100 hours in type is required.

These are minimums. Insurance requirements or individual company requirements are often higher and may include significant flight time in a specific aircraft.

Entry level pay varies widely and could be as little as $125 a day for flying a Cessna 206, or even less if just paid by the flight hour or a salaried position. It could also be 2 or 3 times that. The amount of flight time per month varies widely too. It really depends on the job and there is no such thing as a "typical" charter flying job. It varies from tour flights to medevac to light cargo to on demand executive charter to various types of contract flying.

• 1 year ago

When I was trying to enter that market some 40 years ago, I had a commercial, instrument, and multi engine with flight instructor. They wanted a minimum of 1,000 hours with at least 500 hours me turbine time to even talk.

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

ASK the people who do the hiring at the charter service.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.