Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

I’m a 15 year old gay boy and my family isn’t accepting but I live so far from the gay center... what do I do?

I live in Nome Alaska and the nearest gay center is over 500 miles away, so I have zero access to any LGBT resources. It makes me feel so hopeless. My family is so unaccepting and they even talked about kicking me out when I turn 18, then I’ll have nowhere to go since I live hundreds if not thousands of miles from any major city. All I want is to live closer to the gay center... or maybe get hugs from a senior lesbian, but there are no senior lesbians anywhere near me either.

What do I do???

• reme_1
    Favorite Answer

Hi sweetie, I remember your last post. For your folks, contact PFLAG.org- a wonderful support group of parents with LGBT kids. They reach out to other parents.

I wish I had some better info for you. DO you have any family members who live closer to a city? It might be worth it to relocate. It might be hard but it certainly will be better for you mentally. Don't worry about later. Focus on now. Save up whatever you can. Sock it away!! And start thinking about keeping a duffle bag with some clothes and your most important things. When you do have the opportunity to leave you'll be ready. Also call or write the gay center. Tell them your situation; maybe they'll be able to find a place for you to stay. So getting there is your main goal. Check on the age thing. If you are too young your parents can control you. Please do what ever you can to find help from the LGBT community. And again I am sending you a big HUG.

Move to Vancouver or Seattle.

Personally, I think it would be a great idea to find some lgbt friends. Not as a permanent solution, but if you were to make internet friends (or in real life, im unsure if there are a lot of lgbt people in your area), they can make you feel more accepted. Im around your age and am in a similar situation, and it's helped me a lot. good luck!

Disregard what others think of you, I know it's hard but it's better for your mental health, I say this as a bisexual who has been discriminated against and unaccepted by both heterosexuals and homosexuals