promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

m.2 1tb SSD causing PC not to load?

so i've bought a 1TB internal m.2 SSD but having problems getting it to work. I plug it into the motherboard but my pc fails to load, it goes into windows recovery options

any ideas how to get windows to load with it plugged in?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 years ago

Some of the details Starrysky might refer to is.........

-Did you clone your old drive over to the M.2? Additional drivers will need to be installed which you can do in recovery mode.

-Is the new 1tb M.2 drive an NVMe or a SATA drive?

-Are you using the 1tb M.2 drive as a storage drive while booting off another drive? You might need to change the boot order in the BIOS.

-Is your system compatible?

Older Socket 1150 systems might have an M.2 slot but the compatibility with an NVMe drive is limited.

It's possible to run an M.2 drive off a PCI-E x4 card on an older system that does not have an M.2 slot. The issue in these situations is you can only use an NVMe based M.2 drive as a storage drive. The BIOS on an old z77 or x79 system won't allow you to use an NVMe drive as a boot drive.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 years ago

Start with the windows disk inserted and change your boot setting to boot from disk.

When it boots from the disk - choose repair and install a new copy of windows on it.

• 2 years ago

Throw the whole thing away because you RUINED IT!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.