Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 year ago

when putting a dog to sleep...should their human be in the room?

do u think it is wrong for a person to choose not to be in the room with a very sick dog that is being put to sleep? if they feel too sad or feel they will break down in front of their dog? would it then be best for the human to not be present and make matters worse for the dog?

Thanks for honesty.

..and also if the dog is too sick to know what is going on around her anyway? would it be best for the human to say her goodbyes and leave? tks

• Jojo
    1 year ago
    Best Answer

There is no "should" about it.

Its up to the dogs owner what they think is the best way to go about this issue.

Sometimes if an owner is very upset and displays too much negative emotion it may upset the dog who will sense the owners distress and in that case its probably best if the owner is not with the dog when its put to sleep.

However, they can get sedative tablets or a pre- op injection from the vet to give their dog prior to being put to sleep that will make the dog drowsy and more unaware of what is happening around it.

I sedate my dogs with ACP tablets and then have the vet come to my house and put them to sleep in their own bed. I always stay with them right until the vet does the sad deed.

When a vet puts a dog to sleep its very quick and dignified and not as upsetting as you may imagine it to be (in 98% of cases) as the dog just goes to an everlasting sleep and looks very peaceful.

However, no one should feel guilty if they don`t want to be with their dog to the very last.

Hundreds of dogs are anesthetised at the vets for operations every day and do not have their owners with them at the time.

Only difference is that dogs having operations wake up again, whereas dogs being put to sleep do not. The initial procedure is about the same though.

Source(s): GSD owner for 55 years. (UK)
  • 1 year ago

Being there with them makes THE PET feel better, it doesn't matter if you cry.

• Anna E
    1 year ago

I think it is horrible not to be in the room with your friend during it's last minutes. Even if you are upset, the dog will be comforted by your presence. I have been present with the 3 dogs that I have had to be euthanized.

• Snid
    1 year ago

The human gets to decide. I wanted to be in the room.

• 1 year ago

I have always stayed with the dog cause sometimes their minds are active but body shuts down & not being there to hear the last breath or hear the final call, I have to stay with them to the end. All the way to the end. Part of me dies with each one.

I have been rescuing large & extra large dog for about 50 yrs so I have lost quite a few & it never gets any easier.

• Zed
    1 year ago

Yes. 100% the human owner should be the last face the pet animal sees. You have to be strong for the animal and not reveal emotions at the time they are leaving. Hold it.... you can cry after. Be brave for your pet.

Vets say that the animal gets quite stressed and will stretch their neck to see where the human has gone. Don't leave them until they are gone over the rainbow bridge.

• 1 year ago

I think it is VITAL that you are there for your dog.

Here's a quote from a vet...

“90 per cent of owners don’t actually want to be in the room when he injects them so the animal’s last moments are usually them frantically looking around for their owners and tbh that broke me.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-an...

PLEASE pluck up the courage to be there for your dog no matter how hard it is for you.

• Verulam
      1 year agoReport

'Looking round for their owner' - tears! BUT I have to say most of our hounds were pretty much 'gone' by the time this moment arrived, so clearly didn't know much about what was going on even if they might, at some level. Which is why one of us was with them to the end.

• 1 year ago

I have always held and comforted any pet I have had euthanised.

I believe it keeps them calmer and makes it easier for them.

It gives me degree of comfort to know that their last concious thought is that they are loved.

In the end, it is a very personal choice.

• Tarkarri
      1 year agoReport

I also wanted to add, while I have hearx of pets reacting badly none of mine ( I am 60 so have had more than a few) have ever reacted in distress. They have all just quitly relaxed as if going to sleep in my arms. They can void as they go so make sure you have an old towel or something just in case.

• Isaac
    1 year ago

it's all up to the human to decide. If they feel comfortable, theu can watch, if they don't feel comfortable, they shouldn't have to be there. The dog doesn't know what's going on. It doesn't even knoe what death is. and its life will soon be over. it won't exist anymore. the memories it once had will be all gone. nothing of the dog's life will matter anymore. the human not being in the room while it's being 'put to sleep' won't change a thing

• oldprof
      1 year agoReport

Bull. My dogs (six of them) always knew when they went to the vets. None of them like it, but they put up with it as long as I was there with them. Often they'd insist on sitting in my lap while waiting the vet to show up.

• 1 year ago

Its all down to personal choice. It would im sure be nice for the dog to have someone there even if its just someone it knew to make it feel more relaxed at the vets. But i wouldnt judge anyone who couldnt watch there dog be put to sleep. Its a horrible thing to witness and just as upsetting. Sorry for your loss.

• 1 year ago

The best possible way (for the dog), to put a dog to sleep is to hire someone to come to the dog's home and do it there, where the dog is most comfortable and in the least amount of stress, and in the presence of their human who they love and trust. There are numerous vets who will perform this service or recommend someone to do it. If you can't (or won't), do that, absolutely you should be in the room with your dog even if you're crying. The dog will feel less anxious if their human is with them, speaking to them and stroking them. Your presence will make it better for your friend, not worse. And you have my condolences. I know what this is like.

• Niall1 year agoReport

Didnt know about this option. Sounds much better for the pet.