I am a Catholic questioning my faith, is there truly a way to know if God himself exists?

• dumbbu
    1 year ago

The Catholic church has continued to add believers everyday since Jesus was crucified some 2,000 years ago. Despite all of the insanity, persecution, pedophilia, murders within and murders without the number of followers of Jesus continue to grow each and everyday. There must be something to this group of Jesus people because by all reason there should be no mention or followers of Jesus today, yet there are more today than ever before.

• 1 year ago

Why don't you try asking God in prayer to show you His existence or answer you in some way. It is very important to God for us to know Him. God wants us to know Him. Have you tried reading the King James Bible and asking the Lord Jesus to fill you with His Spirit so you can understand His words? He loves you so much that He might even show you an angel like He showed me. Believe me, it is a scary sight but you will never forget what you saw.

And when you hear God's voice, you will never, never, forget what He said to you. It is quite amazing the impact that God has upon His creation.

• 1 year ago

nope, I was raised Catholic, and have been in remission for 51 years. The Church is a lie. I think they all are.

If God is a spirit, why does he or she need a building and a huge lot full of cars? Why need paintings and statues?

And if God is a Spirit, how do you know its there? If you talk to yourself, is that god?

I have been able to be a good person, love my family, be honest and kind without believing in virgin birth and talking snakes. Silly.

It is not easy to follow you conscience no matter where it leads you. Good luck!

• d00ney
    1 year ago

Problem is that what might satisfy me won’t necessarily convince you. The planks of evidence are Jesus, the creation, and the Jews. Again God knows the end from the beginning, so prophecy, true or wishful thinking. Fulfilled prophecy a fact or a fiction? Did God speak, has God revealed himself, or is religion just a charlatan’s paradise?

You could spend a lifetime studying those things. Although it is good, and perhaps even necessary to question your faith it is probably better to exercise your faith. What did the Lord Jesus say,

John {10:27 -28} My sheep hear my voice. And I know them, and they follow me.

And I give them eternal life, and they shall not perish, for eternity. And no one shall seize them from my hand.

Contrast this with Isaiah

{53:6} We have all gone astray like sheep; each one has turned aside to his own way.

These are the two states, one is doing as we please, the other is pleasing God. If we set out to please ourselves there is no need to please God. It matters not an iota to us whether God exist or not. So then why set out to please what may be a fiction, another man’s conception? Well obviously that is not going to work. What I would suggest to you is that if you set out to please God then you know God is.

Hebrews {11:6} But without faith, it is impossible to please God. For whoever approaches God must believe that he exists, and that he rewards those who seek him.

• Silence1 year agoReport

Sandra K. - If one claims to be seeking God, but sincerely doesn't even believe He exists as a premise then it's a self defeating motion.

• 1 year ago

God asks us to honestly seek Him and He will do the rest. The real question that you must ask yourself is whether God is worth seeking. Without God there is no possibility of real meaning or purpose in life and if those things are important then there is no alternative to seeking God. But if you can employ self deception and distraction to push real meaning and purpose far enough away so that you can live your life and die a natural death, then you will find the cost of seeking God to be too high. It is all about our most closely held inner needs and not about evidence of God's existence.

• Marli
      1 year agoReport

God is God. We know that God Is, because there can be no life without God. Even if one day we discover what makes us live, we can't create life. We don't know exactly who God is because we can't accurately comprehend him. God's mind is omniscient. Our is not.

• Just believe, dont question GOD.

• SAI1 year agoReport

BELIEVE IN BATAMAN /SPIDER /SUPER -MAN . STARS WARS /STAR TREK / HARRY POTTER /LORD THE RINGS. BELIEVE IN STAR WARS /STAR TREK /LORD OF THE RINGS.

• 1 year ago

Obviously not.

• Dr. D
    1 year ago

Have you tried talking to your priest?

Kurt Godel was a brilliant mathematician who developed a mathematical proof of God, however very few people can understand it.

Catholics needing physical proof often refer to miracles, like Fatima, Lourdes, or other Marian apparitions. There are also all sorts of Eucharistic miracles. If you are really serious, then why not investigate the Shroud of Turin. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mke8mUKosaY

Youtube thumbnail

• Sandra K
      1 year agoReport

Nobody can invent a proof that fictional characters exist, because they don't exist. Did Godel prove that James Bond agent 007 is real too?

• 1 year ago

I'm an Ex Catholic turned atheist. Being Catholic was my parents idea.

If any God existed there would be no atheists.

Atheists only exist because there is no God.

Multiple religions exist because there are no Gods.

The Professional Religious Charlatans, the Clergy, are the most convincing evidence that there is no God.

They sell us the unknowable at a high markup.

• Too bad for you. Instead of getting molested and going to heaven you'll go to hell. Oh well.

• 1 year ago

Nope. There is no way to definitively disprove God. It is logically impossible to provide evidence for the non-existence of anything. But the lack of evidence despite centuries of searching for it is compelling enough for a lot of people to think that there is no reason to think that any gods exist. It's up to you how you want to apply your rationality to the world. Most religious people aren't stupid, they just suspend disbelief in order to get social and economic advantages.