Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 year ago

How can I have high cholesterol?

I’m only 26, I’m skinny, I workout, I diet, I count calories, I just don’t understand how my cholesterol is high, doctor said “raised LDL” , I eat chips often and some sweet junk food but compared to the average American I eat very healthy, what could cause a seemingly healthy 26 year old man to have raised cholesterol?

• 1 year ago

Go to a doctor and get a prescription for statins. They decrease the bodies cholesterol making in the liver. Take ezetimibe or Zetia, too. This works by inhibiting absorption of cholesterol in the intestines.

1 year ago

Skinny? Ha.

1 year ago

Genetics?

Idk.

Just because you’re skinny and eat healthy, that doesn’t mean you will have perfect everything.

1 year ago

Apart from what others have said, a reason may be from infection or illness (i.e inflammation). My cholesterol rose when I had an ear infection. The lazy doctor straight away suggested statins without investigating further which was bloody ridiculous as I was 24 at the time and otherwise very healthy!

The parameters for what is considered healthy cholesterol levels have dropped over the years, which imo is dangerous, because the body needs cholesterol, and does NOT need statins.

• 1 year ago

Genetics. Your diet. Smoking if you do (either pot or cigs or vaping). Eating wheat and high carb foods.

You can research this online if you like, but the truth is, people with higher cholesterol live longer and there is absolutely NO medical proof that higher cholesterol causes heart attacks or heath problems. But the medical community keeps on telling us this so they can pass out Statin drugs (which are so bad for us, it's incredible!).

There was one medical report done on cholesterol i think it was in the 70's. It wasn't based on facts, it was a big fat guess.

There are more important things to check when it comes to blood tests than cholesterol levels.

• Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

I totally agree!

1 year ago

It is your diet more than anything. You count calories not carbs, fats or proteins. Chips and sweets are the big killer here. Also it depends on how you cook your food and what you eat.

I have shirts that have calories in it. a log of wood has calories in it. would you eat them? look up what a calorie really is. a calories is amount of energy it takes to raise 1 cubic centimeter of water 1 degree of Celsius.

think abt it. Also if you think you eat healthier than most maybe, but from test result and what you say you eat you do not.

1 year ago

They say so many things. If you lived a dieticians dream you could still have a problem and it still isn't a good reason to take their pills. High cholesterol drugs have a high correlation with dementia. Your brain needs fat to think and remember.

To answer your question I was told deli food and hamburger are bad.

• Tavy
    1 year ago

What do you call high. The number was 7 in the UK, now dropped to 5. Some people are well over this number due to their liver production.

• 1 year ago

Some cases have a genetic cause, in which the body doesn't get rid of cholesterol fast enough so the arteries have been collecting it since childhood. If there's a family history of heart disease that might be something to look at.

Also, consider your diet anyway. You're skinny yet counting calories, then adding chips and candy to the mix. This is baffling to someone who isn't you. See what happens if you choose right nutrition over low calories.

• 1 year ago

"what could cause a seemingly healthy 26 year old man to have raised cholesterol?"

Eating chips and sweet junk food often.