Is it ok if I let my SSD unpartitioned ?

Hello, I got an SSD (Samsung 860 evo 250gb version), and I wondered if I can leave it with just one partition that has allocated all the space. I saw on some forums that if you partition an ssd you have to allign the partitions so they are all the same size, but I don't really want to do that. So its ok to just allocate all the space to one partition ? Will it have any negative impact on the speed or the drives life expectancy ?

• YKhan
    1 year ago
    Best Answer

Yes, it's fine to just have one partition with the entire space of the drive allocated to it. In fact, that's what almost all people do anyways.

What people are talking about when they talk about aligning the partitions is that if the beginning of the partition mark occurs on a block that's a multiple of 4K, rather than the traditional 1K mark, then that is better for performance. So basically give up the first 4K of the drive, and start the partition slightly behind the absolute beginning. This is no big deal as most drives are measured in Gigabytes and Terabytes, so losing 4 kilobytes is not even a thing. Now fortunately for you, this happens automatically anyways these days, you don't have to do a thing. If you have Windows 7 or later, it could already detect that an SSD was being used, and it would automatically use a 4K alignment anyways. So you got nothing to do, just enjoy the drive!

Source(s): Speed Up Your SSD By Correctly Aligning Your Partitions https://lifehacker.com/5837769/make-sure-your-part...
    • florian1 year agoReport

Thank you very much for the answer, and for explaining me what was all about.

• 1 year ago

It's fine to leave it unpartitioned. Don't bother with the whys and wherefore surrounding partition alignment and so on, since you don't need to do that.

1 year ago

I don't see the point in partitioning an SSD. They are plenty fast enough anyway. If you need storage space pop a conventional HDD in. They are relatively cheap and easy to install.