How is it possible to learn to drive in these conditions?

I need to actually see in order to learn and I can’t understand/remember oral instructions. I need to be shown or it has to be demonstrated right in front of me. I promise that if I’m being proficient, it’s actually out of luck not skill. I don’t know how I’m doing it. I’m unable to judge if I’m too far/close; I even crashed the side mirror of the passenger’s side into the electric meter when backing into the driveway, and whenever I back out of the driveway, the car is often half on the asphalt & half on the grass. I can’t remember which side to turn the wheel when reversing nor the adjustments on the turn signal indicator. I even had a lesson from a driving school after the adults in my family but I still couldn’t understand the instructor’s explanation on how to turn the wheel; she even took the wheel & controlled the car from the passenger seat for the rest of the lesson. Even after watching videos on youtube, I still can’t understand. My mom learned from her mom who went to a driving school. My permit expired and I haven’t practiced driving since. Plus I find it extremely difficult to control the vehicle and I can’t see myself doing this everyday. I make my mom so angry whenever she tried to teach me. It’s too much for me; I can’t understand/remember what to do in situations. It still feels awkward after so many lessons. I failed Driver’s Ed in high school. This may or may not matter but I first started practicing in my mom’s van; it’s the only car we have.

1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

You need to practice driving. On a golf cart. Drive one for hours on end. Then see if you can handle a car.

• don r
    1 year ago

I think you need to give up. You are dangerous in a vehicle. The point of driving is to safely get places, not miss crashing by luck.

• Snezzy
    1 year ago

Driving school is the best way.

Family member is the worst way: "YOU'RE WRECKING MY CAR!!!"

• JetDoc
    1 year ago

Ask your mommy.

1 year ago

Dont be so Hard on yourself. You seem Quite Lucid. Good writing/description skills.

Driving is like anything; its own nomenclature. Actually, it is simple. Give it time.

I have to decipher hydraulic schematics; each has its Own set of guidelines what a check valve looks like, etc. But, it becomes simple after time. All work generally the same.

• 1 year ago

Go to a MSF course for motorcycles. Hands on demonstration, next step guidance and third step is doing the motion or job step. for literates with poor visualization from oral commands- read instructions, try to make motion step and then write down what you did and why- if you can't say/write Why, then reread, repeat slowly while reading instructions. when you get done . compare what you did to instructions, might have to make notes to compare at end. You seem to have a 'visual' memory but not able to take 'Oral' memory and visualize to do as 'Written'. Old pre WW2 army and Navy drill often work on presumption that conscript was illiterate, had to be told and shown, guided and then tested with a short oral quiz. Subject- how to shoot rifle without putting bullet in drill instructors butt or officers head- failure means sore assed drill instructor beating some sense into conscript head--a bit of incentive. you need some incentive- get to store and back without ramming police car means (Root) Beer or something. If nothing else- bicycle for few months and then moped, then maybe motorcycle, then motorcycle with side car- finally a 4 wheeler or Morgan 3 wheeler.

• Scott
    1 year ago

Some people are just not capable of driving. You sound like one of them.

• Anon
      1 year agoReport

Our system gives licenses by default and waits until too many accidents to revoke. No preventatives.

1 year ago

Sound to me like you are one of those people who should just ride public transportation - no judgement but driving is shitsimple and if you find it that difficult you should not be operating a 2 ton vehicle at speed.

• 1 year ago

Look for driver training videos on the internet.