Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 year ago

Why on earth would anyone want a DAO pistol? Why remove the option of more accurate SA shooting?

• 1 year ago
    Best Answer

It looks as if YA is still taken over by trolls. Practically all of them have drunk the Kool Aid poured out by the media to sell DAO handguns to naïve people. There is no logical reason to remove such a valuable option as far more accurate SA shooting. When I graduated from a university with honors, I soon bought two Pocket Handguns. One was a Walther "PPK" DA/SA semi-auto in .380 ACP. The other was a Smith & Wesson "Bodyguard" .38 Special DA/SA revolver that has an integral hammer shroud. There was also a DAO S&W "Centennial", but I did not want a DAO then or now.At 15 yards, both the :PPK" and the "Bodyguard" hit the bullseye well. At 25 yards, shooting both SA, the Walther was putting bullets all over the target, while the S&W still hit bullseyes every shot. My cousin once said my tiny S&W would only shoot across the room, so I shot a stone nearly the size of my head at 100 yards with it. He said that was a lucky shot, but in a few minutes, a muskrat emerged from a stream about 115 yards away, and I shot it too. If I had a gunfight with a man who carried a DAO, I could easily shoot him down long before he came within range with his far less accurate POS. Need I ask, why own a Pocket Handgun that will only shoot well at 25 feet or less when I own one that kills muskrats at 115 yards. Venus mentioned that I showed her an old "Guns $ Ammo" mag that had an article by that silly hack Wiley Clapp that said DAOs are best for everyone and another article by Combat Pistol Shooting champion Bill Wilson who said he hates DAOs. Bill and I agree that DAOs are terrible. It is foolish to remove the option of much more accurate SA firing. There is no logical reason for it. I minored in Philosophy and was asked to teach Logic by my professor in it, so do not tell me I cannot think logically, when I am an expert on it. The media is deceptive to the core. It praises any junk whose maker pays well enough in buying ads. I just sent a letter to "The American Rifleman" magazine published by the NRA discussing some differences between my tests of several handguns and those of their writers including that silly hack writer Wiley Clap who is now with them. My old S&W "Bodyguard" is exceptionally accurate. I have owned several S&W .38 Special snubnose revolvers and fired many more at gun ranges and some belonging to friends, and none come close to this one in accuracy. Several people have made amazing shots with it. It rivals my big handguns at long range. I am a trick shot. and I own an exceptionally accurate pocket revolver. The first time I ever fired a handgun at age 11, it was a US Army .45 ACP Colt "1911A1".and I beat my father and two uncles who had been shooting before I was born. At age 8, we were shooting cans on fence posts. I started shooting the wires on the fence. Dad and my uncles could not do that. As you see, I have been a sharpshooter since age 8, and I am a profound thinker trained in formal Logic. My principal said my IQ is the highest in my high school's history, so I learn many things amazingly quickly. With my wisdom and experience, I only fire Double-Action in quick draw firing from the hip into playing cards at 25 feet. If I need to aim, I use much more accurate Single-Action. I demand that option on any gun I think is worth owning.

• Garrett

I see bias at work in gun magazines' tests of DAOS. Some are tested for accuracy at only 7 yards, while SAs are tested at 25 yards. Some peopled are naïve enough to fall fo4r the media's con games, and they passionately defend being deceived in such manner..

• 1 year ago

Im no fan of DAO but you would be surprised how many that died when they tried to pull their CCW only to have the hammer hang up on clothing preventing the speed necessary to defend themselves.

• Garrett
      1 year agoReport

I have neve had that problem. My old S&W "Bodyguard" has an integral hammer shroud, so it doesn't snag but still permits single-action firing. My Walther "PPK" has a rounded hammer that has never snagged.

• 1 year ago

Because with many hammer-fired pistols, the double action is the only safety mechanism engaged by the shooter. It is NOT safe to carry a 1911 loaded and c0cked without the manual thumb safety engaged. The DAO only market is for those that do not want a double action trigger pull on the 1st shot and a single action trigger pull on subsequent shots and they don't want a manually operated safety. The notion that double action is less accurate than single action is ridiculous. This is especially true for high-stress, self-defense shooting. You'll never feel the double action pull when adrenaline is pumping, but you sure as hell don't want to pop off a round before you intend to do so. The most important factor is that you find a gun you shoot quickly and accurately then PRACTICE with it. Shooting 50-100 rounds at the range once a month isn't practice.

• Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

It's ridiculous to claim DA is as accurate as SA. Anybody who is reasonable and objective knows its easier to hit a target with a short & light trigger pull than with aa long & heavy one. It's better to have a short & light pull every time. I shoot 100 rounds or more once or twice a week.

• 1 year ago

the misconception is that a DAO has a lighter trigger then a DA SA

the reality is there is no proof of that.

the DA SA guns like revolvers with hammers are difficult to draw from a pocket because the hammer would snag on your pocket or the hammer catching on your shirt (although its never happened to me through drills atleast not from the hip)

i think smith had a great idea with the rounded off hammer spur but the exposed knob

as with the smith and wesson model 638

but i think the greater debate is concealed vs bobbed hammer

in summery, take away the SA take away the hammer, and it gains an easier draw from a pocket

• or bob the hammer. which is what i did. but that was when i didnt have money for quality guns. rugers only in my holsters now.

• 1 year ago

Double action only are much safer for a lot of people that dont have much experience with a long trigger pull for first shot then a live semiauto with a sensitive trigger til empty.

• Garrett
      1 year agoReport

The problem is that your foe is safer when you cannot shoot him precisely at close range or shoot him at all at any distance. Anyone who owns a gun should learn to use it well. There is no way to be safe from fools of course.

• 1 year ago

All handguns require hours of training and practice BEFORE you find whats right for you. Then after learning how to use them safely and proficiently , then you can decide what works for you. I have very old handguns from match lock, flint lock to percussion cap lock. And then I have many semi-autos and DA and SA revolvers. Now since I have mastered all of them I pick one out for a certain use. They are simply tools for a certain job. So before you condemn DA or SA learn about them give them a try. I have a custom Super Black Hawk .44 mag that I can fan fire it to shoot faster than any double action revolver .

• Garrett
      1 year agoReport

What a farce for BBean to kiss Bear Crap's butt and for BC to say BB has wit and knowledge when he cannot distinguish fast draw and quick draw and believes in DA shooting at 1000 yards.

• BBean
    1 year ago

DAO is for the thinking people, so if one has to ask they either have no experience with DAO nor DA/SA nor the ability to comprehend the safety pros and cons.

• 1 year ago

For a Service Pistol - meaning a pistol you carry in the open all day long - perhaps you are a armed guard or police officer...… having a DAO means it takes allot to make it go off. Say you have armed guards working for you - they get 20 rounds of refresher ammo ever two years..... which is awful.....would you want them to have pistols that took allot ohmp to fire or would you want hair triggers?

• Garrett
      1 year agoReport

a DAO. Men who carry guns need to practice and become proficient with them. Giving them DAO or toy guns to carry are poor solutions to a problem that does not exist among intelligent humans.

• 1 year ago

Consistent trigger pull might be a consideration. Second tap on a misfire might be another consideration. I know, i hate the change between first DA pull from a decocked pistol and the subsequent 2nd SA pull.

• Sandra K
      1 year agoReport

Consistently bad trigger pull isn't desirable for any sane reason. I only use DA for very close range quick draw shooting. I don't see any problem with having the first shot DA and the next ones SA. I carry my CZ-75 and Colt 1911 with the hammer back and safety on. YA censors C0cked.

• 1 year ago

Safety for one. When you have a DA with the hammer back it just takes 4-5 pounds of trigger pull to make it fire. With DAO it will take 8 or more pounds to fire it. Consistency too. With a DAO each shot has the same trigger pull. No hard pull for the first shot then easy after that.

• Sandra K
      1 year agoReport

You're actually saying a hard pull for every shot beats an easy pull. What wild thinking!. The figures you give are biased. The FN "509" DAO has a trigger pull of 7 lbs. 3 oz., and some SAs have 3 lbs. like the Colt "Cobra" Venus mentioned..