Kyle
Kyle asked in SportsBaseball · 1 year ago

If the Cubs sign Harper, could he be the answer to their lead off struggles?

In 29 games, he's hit .273 with a slash line of .362 .573 .935. 8 home runs and 19 rbis. 13 bb, 23 so.

it's a small sample, but it's a pretty decent one with room for improvement. and he has pretty good speed around the bases. kind of similar to kris bryant or maybe ian happ.

the order could be

harper

bryant

rizzo

contreras

baez

zobrist

almora

schwarber or heyward (if the cubs trade one of them)

pitcher

• Alice
    1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

Why would he be leadoff? I could see him maybe batting second ahead of Bryant.

• Kyle
      1 year agoReport

KB is most comfortable hitting 2nd. i think harper then would hit third or cleanup.

1 year ago

The Chicago Cubs want Kris Bryant to be the leadoff man, and put Bryce Harper somewhere else if Bryce Harper ever opted to join the Chicago Cubs.

• 1 year ago

For the Cubs to sign Harper I think they would have to trade Schwarber first. They already have 3 outfielders, 4 if you count Happ who gets occasional starts in CF. Hey ward isn't going anywhere Cubs are stuck with his contract and has greatly underachieved which would make teams not want to trade for him. I'd try to re-sign Daniel Murphy for one more year let him be the leadoff hitter, move Baez to SS permanently and trade Addison Russel for some bullpen help. As far as a free agent signing the Cubs should look to another starting pitcher such as Evaldi. or Lance Lynn.

• 1 year ago

Past knee injuries have robbed him of some speed so I don't see him as a legitimate candidate to lead off.

There are also reports that he turned down a 10 year/$300M offer from Washington so I don't see why the Cubs would be interested in him.

The only way I'd make a move on him is if I could dump Heyward, and that ain't gonna happen.

• Kyle
      1 year agoReport

the washington offer supposedly didn't have any no trade clause in it. or opt outs. and if the cubs trade heyward, they would have to eat a lot of that contract too. which wouldn't leave a lot maybe for harper.