Do you think there is too much pressure on young adults to attend college?

Why or why not?

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

No. Only about 25% of the people in the US have a college degree. That's why they're uneducated voters and why we got stuck with Trump.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

Idk I just need points

• 1 year ago

Parents only want what is best for their children and they know that while money does not buy happiness it rents a much more comfortable form of misery. College grads make on average twice the income of those who are not college grads.

In my case, both for me and my kid there was never any question about going to higher education. As soon as either of us heard of there being something beyond high school we were all for it and planning to go. Not going was simply not under any consideration by anyone in the families.

• 1 year ago

There is, because it may not lead to a job, but it is fulfilling in so many ways, as megalomanic above me has said. In fact, that's how I got my current job, even though it's only part-time and not in my field (art). I also took an online course as a medical administrative assistant a few years later.

However, there's another pressure that high schools put too much fear on future college students: to finish "on time", which is 2 years for an Associates and 4 years for a Bachelors degree. I learned from watching my best friend take an extra year to get her Bachelor's degree that a college degree is not a race, and that it's okay to take longer to get your degree!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 year ago

a good 50% just waste their time and leave University with a degree that does not get them a Job

where trade schools get you a great Job and Big Money

I never went to University but retired at 55

• 1 year ago

The US Census gathers data every ten years. The data says something that never changes -

People with Bachelors degree average twice the lifetime income of people who only have a high school diploma.

Price matters, but that college degree matters very greatly in life.

• GEEGEE
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

College in many cases is what trade school used to be. In NY there was a program called BOCES, and it might still exist. Kids in high school took classes in carpentry, nursing studies, secretarial studies, etc....so they could get a job right after graduation.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

Yes. College doesn’t help you in any way.

• ?
    Lv 6
    1 year ago

Yes. There needs to be some kind of route outside of college. When the only door is college, we all get stuck with the wrong sort of people when having to deal with any professional. Too many dishonest, push people in the mud types.

• 1 year ago

Not really, but I think that often people go for the wrong reasons. I think that a good education is valuable for anyone. The problem is that one can only see the value of education after the fact.

Too many people think that college is nothing more than job training (or perhaps entry into a certain social class). It is much more than that. It is a ticket to a more fulfilling life in a great many ways.

That said, it isn't for everyone. People can get jobs and have fulfilling lives without a college education. It's just easier if you have one. And what parent doesn't want good things for their children?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.