Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 2 years ago

if a single neuron doesn't know what it is,how can the interaction of them or the whole brain understand what it is?

Favorite Answer

that is the big question, isn't it? There is a word for this, if I can remember it. Doesn't explain it, but does describe it, which is how the actions of many individuals leads to something that is more than the sum of the parts. Somehow, as a group, brain cells create something that none possess individually. like patterns formed by flocks of birds or schools of fish. Emergence, or emergent behavior, is the term. I knew if I waited it would pop up.

But how? Well, lots of ideas but none seem very good to me, but that could be because this particular brain does not have the correct emergent behavior. Who knows? Possible Nobel Prize in there for the people who figure it out, perhaps?

this gets very much into the problem of the essence of life, what is life, at the same time. Life is, on a functional process basis, just a bunch of chemical interactions, just as with non-life (although not in specific reactions), so how does it become self-aware or even if not aware, driven to self-preservation? There is more to the total than the sum of the parts.

• Dixon

A multitude of things doesn't act like one thing many times.

How do you know a single neuron does not know what it is.

• oyubir

Anyway, knowledge is not in the neurons, but in the connections.

(exactly like with artificial NN btw)

But for a broader answer, consider the concept of emergence itself: each bee or ant is rather dumb; they have no idea why they are doing what they do. But the hive is more clever

Just like that. Just by the effect of multiple neurons.

If a single cell in my hand can not make a fist, how can my fist hit you?