Help, Oil light comes on when braking. I found a crack in my oil cap and my oil dipstick is missing with yellow gunk in tube?

I feel so stupid for not checking under my hood sooner. But no dripping, no running hot, no white smoke, and runs like it usually does. Just oil light came on when braking and goes off when gassing it. Check under the hood and found a crack under the oil cap itself. Nothing else seemed damaged. Then FML oil dipstick is gone, but tube seemed plug with this yellow gunk that solidified. Damn it, can’t take this! Always something, advice?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Dan
    Lv 5
    1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

When you brake, the two teaspoons of oil that you have left in the engine runs to the front and starves the pump pick-up so the light comes on. Pour 1 quart of oil into the engine before you drive anywhere. Then buy a dipstick and have the oil and filter changed, replace the filler cap.

• Login to reply the answers
  • M.
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Your engine oil level seems very low!

Like 2 quarts low.

Or 2.5 quarts low.

Or 3 quarts low.

You need more oil in the oil pan!

You also need an oil dipstick!!

• 1 year ago

The engine is low on oil. Oil probably splashed out the dipstick tube. Maybe that gunk is "Great Stuff sealer". You can pull out the dipstick tube with pliers. Plug it up with a rubber stopper until you find a replacement dipstick and tube. You may be lucky at the salvage yard, and get a filler cap. In the mean time add oil- 1/2 quart won't hurt or risk overfilling until you get a dipstick to check the level and do it right. Good luck.

• ...Show all comments
    • The Devil
      Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

I always find what I need at the salvage yard for Fords, GM, and Chryslers. Plenty of them there and parts are cheap.

• 1 year ago

you are suffering from oil surge ..main cause ..very poor maintenance ..when you brake the oil is rushing forward ...leaving the pick up pipe starved ...that yellow slush is called mayonnaise ..a mixture of oil /water /fuel ..this is common with an engine with wear ..an easy check for wear ..with dipstick replaced ..start engine ..remove oil filler cap ..whitish chuffing smoke? crankcase compression ..worn engine ..fuel oil etc is passing behind rings and on compression stroke and exhaust is passing downward into sump ...next stroke because the sump is full of gasses ..these gasses are pushed upwards into the rocker areas ...start being more responsible and check oil levels ...if not your bank balance will suffer

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 year ago

Have you checked the brake fluid level?

• Buy a new dipstick and replace the cap. Flush out the engine with flushing oil. Then replace the oil and filter. The yellow gunk is formed from an oil and water mix, but the water probably comes from condensation. If you get blue smoke from the exhaust - especially when going uphill - you need a new cylinder head gasket.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

Change the oil and oil filter. Replace the oil cap. Plug the dipstick cavity with aluminum foil. Drive it until it dies. Put a new engine when it dies.

• FN - 2187
      Lv 6
      1 year agoReport

Drive it till it dies?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.