Anonymous

Is trade school always better than college?

My original plan was to get a bachelor's degree in accounting, but my dad is pressuring me to go to trade school to be a hairstylist or medical assistant because the schooling is cheaper. Everybody says those are low paying professions. So....is my dad right? I'd rather attend a college...

• GA41
    1 year ago
    Best Answer

Your dad is generally wrong. A college degree is usually better than trade school. However, it depends on what is your area of study and the availability of jobs. Also, it depends on how much debt you accumulate to achieve your study goal. It also depends on if you actually use your degree, or if you become a stay at home mom. I would try to go to college and work part time to pay it off. I'd try to avoid school loans. I would suggest searching the internet for where they think jobs will be in four years, and what are there projected salaries. I'd then pick the one I think I would like the most, that has the highest earning potential. Accounting is not a bad field, particularly if you get a CPA after you graduate. However, there are higher paying fields. Unfortunately, your Dad may not be able to be objective; he is influenced by the financials of the decision.

• The Football God

Most people that I know graduating trade schools are working in that field by before graduating and staying. My wife and I get our coffee from a liberal arts major @26 living at home to pay off HIS college loans. My guess, he’d rethink college debt.

• Not always, but one might pursue a college degree in industrial technology after learning some of the trades.

• 1 year ago

It depends on the choice of the person.

1 year ago

Trade -schools for skills

College for knowledge /education

In the 21st. century, we can go to COLLEGE AND TRADE SCHOOL.

WE CAN GO TO BOTH TRADE SCHOOL AND COLLEGE AT THE SAME TIME.

1 year ago

No, it depends on the degree a Lawyer Doctor accountant will eventually make More Money that most Tradesmen

• 1 year ago

Trade schools would be things like carpenter, welder, mason, plumber, electrician, HVAC technician. Hairdressers have very limited potential (unless they can become a famous name like Vidal Sassoon, etc.) Medical assistant is not all that great, barely a step above certified nurse's aide.

You get what you pay for. You can do better, depending on your talents, abilities, interests, skills, personality & character traits, etc. And what you are willing to spend to qualify for a good job.

• 1 year ago

No.

First of all, beware of for-profit "trade schools" and avoid them if possible. Usually you can get certified for a profession for much less money by attending a community college, or entering a union apprenticeship program.

Second, it depends on what you want to do. You can't become an accountant by attending trade school, nor can you become a master plumber by attending Harvard. People with college educations generally make about $1 million more over their lifetimes than those without a degree; that said, I'm a lawyer and have met electricians that pulled in more per year than I did.

You need to decide what you want to do, and how you want to get there. Hairstyling and medical assistant are typically very low-paying professions, but not all trades are. And your parents can't control where you go. They can refuse to give you the information you need to fill out the FAFSA, but you need that whether you go to trade school or college, so it shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't openly defy them about "trade school" until you've got everything you need.

Instead of "trade school," though, take a look at your local community college and see what sort of associate's degree career programs they have that may interest you. They also will have a transfer program, which works as the first half of a four-year bachelors (usually with an automatic transfer to a four-year state college or university if you achieve a certain minimum GPA).

• 1 year ago

Better? No. Your father didn't say trade school was better; he said it was cheaper. That is true. It is also true that most people who become hairdressers or medical assistants don't make a lot of money and don't have much opportunity to advance. It can be the right choice for people who are not academically inclined or can't figure out how to finance a bachelor's degree. That noted, a BA/Bs is no guarantee of a job or career or salary.

I would encourage you and your parents to look into financial aid. People who are lower income can usually get a combination of loans, grants, and reduced fees.

• 1 year ago

Too many unknown variables. Are you college material? Is it your money or his money being spent? And what is it YOU want to do.

All 5 of our kids were told we would support their decisions. That did not include tuition, lab fees and books. 4 earned degrees and advanced degrees on scholarships and earned grants through work. The other? Worked for an A/C company as an apprentice and has grown into commercial and appliances repairs also.

This decision is about you. Make it happen and offer no excuses. They don't fly in the real world.

• 1 year ago

No. Generally speaking, trade schools are not better than accredited 2 and 4 year colleges. Many jobs that are outside the customer service sector, require a 2 or 4 year degree. A technical or trade school will give you a set of specific skills like Engineering or Medical Assistant that will lead (hopefully) to an entry level position. That said, if you have your heart set on attending a regular college and cannot afford the tuition, you need to research grants and loans to bridge the gap financially.