Is Eric Johnson just as advanced as Yngwie Malmsteen, Joe Satriani, and Steve Vai or he is more?

I was listening to Cliffs of Dover and it is crazy that he wrote all of that in 5 minutes.

Its an E blue sthing but the whole song uses arpeggios and its so hard to play because he does it so clean and precise. Overall as a guitarist he can do some weird stretches and knows a lot of theory.

Would those other 3 guitarist I mention have a hard time figuring out his music? and vice versa.

Erc may not have great hits like those other guys but his solos, and technique are difficult to learn

• Andrew
    1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

I'm not sure what you mean by "more advanced." Yngwie Malmsteen is your typical Neo-Classical shredder - it's all just variations on Minor modes, diminished scales, he throws some volume swells in there for flavour, and basically just moves from one position to the next playing lightning fast arpeggios over his rhythms. He's fast, his phrasing is solid, nice vibrato, but a one trick pony. Guaranteed he knows his theory, but he rarely strays from the same tired, familiar, boring, predictable, formulaic whiddly-diddly he's known for. Steve Vai is infinitely more innovative, infinitely more versatile, and infinitely more experimental. He's a bit too all over the place for me, and his music is so overly layered with effects, but he's a great player. Satriani is 10,000 times better still. He's technical, yet groovy. He's got great tone, he's melodic - he's a true songwriter, not just a guitarist. Eric Johnson is wonderful, I'd say he's probably not as well rounded as Satriani, but he's definitely a first rate player. Again, we're talking about lead guitar work - Johnson's songwriting ability is definitely nowhere near as accomplished.

actually, the cleaner, the better! I prefer EJ style (from clean to somehow good tube dirt), though he can do lot of things/style like the other guys do, he preferred not to because he wanna be unique on his own way. I believe he knows and got all the music theory because he is an accomplished piano player and that is his basis on why how good he is on the guitar. I do admit that i have hard times doing those piano chords with long stretches on the the guitar finger board while doing these dynamics on the fingers. LOLS

• 1 year ago

which beginner guitar today to buy?

• 1 year ago

None are many more advanced than any other when it comes to technical ability. It's a matter of style. Much prefer Johnson to the others because I've never considered him to be a 'shredder' - though he can play fast as well as anyone. He just has a tone that, in my opinion, is unmatched.

Listen to the 'Austin City Limits' version of 'Cliffs of Dover' and 'East Wes'.

• 1 year ago

No,no,and no.

• Don't forget Joe Stump.

• Lv 6
      1 year agoReport

Stump is criminally underrated. Agreed.

• RockIt
    1 year ago

These guys are such masters of their art and craft that there is no "who is better" or "can they learn or play each other's music?"

Of course they all can.

I like Vai the best, then Satch,

then Johnson, then Malmsteen both significantly less so.

Its musical taste when it comes to such virtuosos.

1 year ago

Kerry King is better than all those guys