What is the best route to adopt?

My husband and I are both 33 and looking to adopt. We have 4 biological children, 9 y/o twin boys and 7 and 4 y/o girls. I am a Pediatrician and my husband is an Anesthesiologist in Oregon, so we are financially capable of caring for another child. We are having an issue with deciding which route we’d like to go.... show more My husband and I are both 33 and looking to adopt. We have 4 biological children, 9 y/o twin boys and 7 and 4 y/o girls.

I am a Pediatrician and my husband is an Anesthesiologist in Oregon, so we are financially capable of caring for another child. We are having an issue with deciding which route we’d like to go. International, foster care, and private infant adoption all seem to have pros and cons to them, so I’d like to hear personal experience and advice from those who’ve adopted.

Age, gender, and race do not make a difference, but we are a white family and I’ve heard a plethora of complaints about adoptees raised in families who do not match them physically. I wouldn’t want to cause even more emotional damage by making them stick out like a sore thumb in a judgemental world. I’ve also heard you shouldn’t disrupt birth order, so a 3 year old would be the oldest we could adopt if we based our criteria on that. We love babies, but waiting for years for an expectant woman to choose us doesn’t sound terribly appealing. I’ve heard various things about international adoption. Some say it’s simple while others say it’s difficult. I’m not too thrilled about the prospect of having to fly to another country to pick a child up either, due to our demanding schedules. I’ve also heard the many things wrong with foster care and the daunting issues the children can have, along with the troubles with bio family which makes me slightly hesitant. If you have any advice I’d appreciate it.