How do I raise a child?

I've had all the parenting classes in high school but my teacher only used things from the text book however she raised her child totally different. Like the book says let your child sleep on its back. What if the baby choked on its salvia or even spits up. Can I pay the child in its belly. Because that's... show more I've had all the parenting classes in high school but my teacher only used things from the text book however she raised her child totally different.
Like the book says let your child sleep on its back. What if the baby choked on its salvia or even spits up. Can I pay the child in its belly. Because that's how my parents put my down when I was younger.
They did things differently and I came out perfectly fine (many could argue). Should I do things the way my parents did or the way the books says.