How do I make good coffee with a coffee machine?

I've two coffee machines, one Nespresso and a Dualit Bean To Go which is a big machine that takes whole coffee beans. I still struggle to make good coffee. What I don't get is how you'd make a standard coffee or latte, when you get coffee out the machines it's only as much as one shot...so do you... show more I've two coffee machines, one Nespresso and a Dualit Bean To Go which is a big machine that takes whole coffee beans. I still struggle to make good coffee.

What I don't get is how you'd make a standard coffee or latte, when you get coffee out the machines it's only as much as one shot...so do you just fill the rest with hot water or milk? It never seems enough to fill a cup and I always end up with too strong (all shots) or too weak (one shot plus water or milk) The Nespresso feels a lot more of a faff as if you want another shot it means another pod, warm water means removing the pods.

Honestly these machines are a waste of money and effort (I got mine free), it's so much easier to just use a French press, but as I've got them I may as well use them...