Why do so many job applications want your social security number? Is there any way to bypass this when filling out an online application?

I’ve never had a job before and my parents are greatly demanding that I get one. But my dad explicitly told me that he does not want me giving them my SSN on the applications. I’ve been looking for jobs on indeed.com, but the listings don’t indicate out front whether or not an application requires your SSN, so I’ve filled out quite a few, only to end up having to hit cancel and wasting my time.

I’ve found one job I would really like to apply for, but it requires a SSN. Is there any way I can bypass this on the online application?

• Linda
    1 year ago

You only, give your SS#, once you're hired.

• Stan
    1 year ago

You do not have to give it but the only way to verify who you are

Source(s): Retired bill collector 35 years
  • 1 year ago

Your father is wrong. It's needed for ID and tax purposes.

1 year ago

You could reverse the last two digits of your real number. Then if they hire you, say "oops" and correct it.

• 1 year ago

You put 'available as needed' if it's on a paper format. And NA on a computer application - then when they contact you for an interview you tell them it's available at hire.

Given the amount of identity theft, you don't need to put it on the application until you're called for an interview. You have no idea how they dispose of the applications that are not wanted.

• I like your answer the best, but this particular form only allows numbers to be typed in the box for "Social Security Number", and the option to skip the Tax Credit Screening appears to be disabled.

Should I call the HR department for the company?

1 year ago

Probably because they want to verify your identity and eligibility to work before bothering to interview you. If you can't/won't give your SSN it implies you either are illegal or have a criminal background or something like that.

That being said, your dad does have a point. There is no reason for them to have your SSN unless they are seriously interested in offering you a job. If/when they are ready to offer you a job, they can have your SSN to verify your identity, do a background check and if hired, appropriately report your wages and submit taxes.

• 1 year ago

The ONLY way your earnings are reported to the IRS and to the SSA are with your SS#. You can work without one but you can't be paid without one. My parents never applied for one for us, we had to apply ourselves...one of the lessons in self-reliance we were given. When mine came finally, my first paycheck was for four weeks.

You can try explaining that you want to protect it, and that when you are hired, you will of course supply it then. That may work in person and may not work online.

• 1 year ago

probably so that they can do a background check on you, i dont think you can bypass it

1 year ago

They can check your earnings thru S.S., plus where you used to work. Also, THEY will need it if they hire you for your tax information ................

• Greg
    1 year ago

They have to get it because they have to pay taxes into your Social Security and Medicare accounts.