How would homeopathy even work at all?

I know it should be nonsense. Even as a believer in meditation and spiritual energy so far as healing i cannot see how homeopathy would work. I remember years ago i got some sleep aid. I found out later it was homeopathic and what that was. It did have an effect and I almost ended up in the hospital after mixing... show more I know it should be nonsense. Even as a believer in meditation and spiritual energy so far as healing i cannot see how homeopathy would work. I remember years ago i got some sleep aid. I found out later it was homeopathic and what that was. It did have an effect and I almost ended up in the hospital after mixing another sleep aid with it. Also today I got some nonsense homeopathic stop smoking aid instead of the version where there is an active ingredient (they had 2 versions) needless to say I tried it expecting nothing and I am ok like normal I haven't smoked all day no withdrawal wow I expected it not to work so how does it.

Also if homeopathy is somehow true can it cure hiv after these results I'm willing to give it a try I just want to know how it works.