The NYP reports that Harvard has SAT cutoffs based on race and gender. Is this even fair?

Harvard University's dean testified in a court hearing that the school sends out recruitment letters to potential applicants based on race and gender. Harvard sends recruitment letters to African American, Hispanic American and Native American students who scored at least a 1100. For white students, the minimum standard is a 1310. But for Asian students, a 1350 is the minimum for a Asian American female while a 1380 is the minimum for an Asian American male. Is this SAT cutoff based on race even fair?

Update 2:

I think it's crazy we still practice institutional racism against "less preferred" groups like Asian Americans. Why do we have quadruple standards for one group but lower the standards for others?

Update 3:

People have to realize that we are not all treated equally. Some people are quite literally given the easy ticket in life while others have to work hard for those few scraps on the floor. To be accepted at anything it seems that Asian Americans have to fight the glass ceiling and more.

Update 4:

I think its important that just as there are poor white and black students there are also poor Asian American students. They exist too, but the way admissions people see it all of them belong to the same group. This is just blatant racism. Without even considering the socioeconomic status, their primal instinct is to just put a label on everyone and not see them as individuals.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

Many things in life are not "fair". That's quite different from being illegal. Admission to any university is a holistic process. I know someone who got an almost free ride at an small school that was trying to increase it's geographic diversity. So they favored her over someone from the state the school is in because they thought it was beneficial to all students to have contact with people with different views. If you think that bakers can refuse to serve people they don't like, then you should have no trouble with universities serving people they decide they like.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 year ago

All Universities do this. It's a point system. If your Asian (who typically have teh highest IQs and scores) will be given the most demerits. Whites just under Asians. Hispanics under whites and blacks get the least. SAT scores matter but race counts first.

No it's not fair. It's racist. A better way would be based on educational scores. And that's all.

• 1 year ago

I remember Al Gore's SAT scores were published at ~1175 and George W. Bush's were ~1185. They were a couple of dummies by Harvard standards.

• ?
    Lv 6
    1 year ago

Who cares if life is fair for Harvard students. They'd all charge $4,000 for a root canal to a person who makes $15,000 a year & think nothing of it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Daddio
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

No, it is racist and anti-male

• 1 year ago

Harvard consistently rates the "personality" section of asians lower during interviews. Then again a lot of these workaholic asians have no personality, hobbies or interests so it's not that surprising.

• 1 year ago

20% of harvard is infested with nepotistic jews.

• ...Show all comments
    • Worthlesser
      Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

Oy vey, I know it's like anudda shoah. Hebrews need full spectrum dominance in all realms to make up for all the oppression the wealthiest people in human history continually suffer.

• 1 year ago

No.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.