Should you pay rent for a room you're not using?

I'm moving into a new share house however I cannot move in for another 3 weeks but the room is currently vacant. So the people there have asked me to pay just under 3 weeks rent ($300) to "cover" the next three weeks and help subsidise the cost for them (because they're currently paying for all 3... show more I'm moving into a new share house however I cannot move in for another 3 weeks but the room is currently vacant. So the people there have asked me to pay just under 3 weeks rent ($300) to "cover" the next three weeks and help subsidise the cost for them (because they're currently paying for all 3 rooms). Is that a reasonable amount?
Update: Edit: I'm paying an amount for the room even though I'm not using it just to secure it, otherwise they can rent it out to someone else. Do you think $250 is too little of maybe $275?