Jehovah's Witnesses: Why did you change the words in Genesis 8:22?

Watchtower 6/15/1953 pg 371

Though their annual periods were not calculated to the fraction of the day, there was no mistaking the seasons of the year, since Jehovah had said,

“While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.”—Gen. 1:14; 8:22, AS.

Bible Citation-Watchtower Library 2014

8:22 From now on, the earth will never cease to have seed-sowing and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, and day and night.”

The first one above (1953) mentions the word "While" (It is not saying the Earth will remain forever nor is it stating the Earth will be destroyed)

The second one mentions "From now on......" (your interpretation is making it sound like the Earth will remain forever)

Why did you change it???? From "While...." to "From now on...."

TeeM-"ERV As long as the earth continues, " is not the same as "Never again....". The verse is about the permanent cycles of the year until the end of time. YOUR bias is showing, my friend.

"Od" and "Olam" are two different words.

Genesis 8:21-22 God promises that He would never again destroy virtually all life from the planet earth in the manner in which He did here. Look up: kaph (pronoun) and the (relative pronoun) ʾăsher, which together mean as which, as one who, as, like as, just as; because; according to what manner, in a manner as. God is not saying that He will never, ever again destroy huge numbers of living creatures on this earth.

He is saying that He will not destroy them in the way that He did—by means of a worldwide flood.

The revised NWT cleverly and conveniently took the negative particle lō' meaning "not" or "never" toward the end of the sentence, and placed it at the beginning of the verse (as did ISV) after the constituent adverb ‛ôd, still within the bounds of Hebrew-English translation to have it say: "From now on, the earth will never cease to have seed-sowing and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, and day and night."

@TeeM-See addition information in my reponse to myself and others.

"From now on and as long as the earth continues, is forever. " Logically speaking, how does "as long as..." refer to forever?

See additional information in my reponse to myself and others.

'From this time' fits the definition of: Od: " still, yet (of continuance or persistence)" Continuance has a limitation. A cycle is not forever. "TIME" is not forever. TIME=LIMITATION

Here is an added bonus to the puzzle: Genesis 8:21: the verse is referring to the utter destruction of the land of Judah: that is, the destruction of Judah is envisioned as the destruction of the whole earth. 2 Kings 18:13-17 briefly alludes to this destruction.

TeeM-"What part of 'Never again' don't you understand?"

What part of the word "manipulation" do you not understand? You are using the eisegetical approach to the scripture, PLAIN AND SIMPLE!

• DP.
    Favorite Answer

JW doctrine is in a constant state of flux which JWs attempt to explain as the light getting brighter.

The reality is that flip flopping, mistake fixing and bible changing are nothing to do with things getting clearer and have everything to do with manipulating God's truth to fit desired belief.

• 😌

Because two and two will equal 4 when you add them.

Source(s): Praise Jehovah Always.

I'm not a JW, but changed the words, from what? The King's Englishe?

Genesis 8:22 New King James Version (NKJV)

22 “While the earth remains,

Seedtime and harvest,

Cold and heat,

Winter and summer,

And day and night

Shall not cease.”

And Peter wrote "the earth is passing away, but we look for a new heaven and a new earth wherein rightness will dwell"

And Revelation 21:1-5 tells us how the heavenly city, the New Jerusalem, comes to the Earth, and God says "behold I've made all things new" and "I will now tabernacle with mankind upon Earth, there shall be no more death, pain, sorrow, nor tears.."

Isaiah 11:7 "the lion will eat straw like the ox, the bear will graze with the cow".

Even when Jesus returns, we merely meet Him at His coming not 'go to heaven'.. "In that day His feet shall stand on Mt or Olives" from where he went up and the angels said "he shall return in the same manner as you SAW him leave." (jes sayin') Also "dead" - greek word "nekros" originally, means "to lack life".

The English language changes too.... time to keep up with these changes so it is simple to understand. I find the NWT very easy to read. Exaclty as Jehovah intended. Scholars will always try to make it difficult. Jesus said at Matt 11 "I publicly praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and intellectual ones and have revealed them to young children"

Such changes are in harmony with the Bible principle stated at Proverbs 4:18: “The path of the righteous is like the bright morning light that grows brighter and brighter until full daylight.” Just as the rising sun reveals details of a landscape gradually, God grants an understanding of divine truth progressively, in his due time. (1 Peter 1:10-12) As the Bible foretold, he has accelerated this process during “the time of the end.”—Daniel 12:4.

These adjustments in our understanding should neither surprise nor disturb us. Ancient worshippers of God also had mistaken ideas and expectations and needed to adjust their viewpoint.

Moses offered himself as a deliverer for the nation of Israel 40 years ahead of God’s timetable.—Acts 7:23-25, 30, 35.

The apostles failed to understand the prophecy that foretold the Messiah’s death and resurrection.—Isaiah 53:8-12; Matthew 16:21-23.

Some early Christians had wrong ideas about the timing of “the day of Jehovah.”—2 Thessalonians 2:1, 2.

God later corrected their misunderstandings, and we pray that he will continue doing the same for us.—James 1:5.

Source(s): JW.org
  • TeeM

Sorry your question only shows your bias.

DARBY Henceforth, all the days of the earth,

DRA All the days of the earth,

ERV As long as the earth continues,

GNV Hereafter seed time

ISV “Never again, as long as the earth exists,

NABRE All the days of the earth,

YLT during all days of the earth,

Why aren't you questioning all these other bibles?

According to Strong's, 'Henceforth' or 'From now on' are acceptable translations of the Hebrew word 'ode' H5750.

It also goes back to vs 21, where Jehovah promises to “Never again will I curse the ground on man’s account, for the inclination of the heart of man is bad from his youth up; and never again will I strike down every living thing as I have done."

Since Jehovah promises 'Never again' - then the earth will continue to exist. Thus the 2013 translation is in harmony with the context; and is an improved translation.

Edit:

Sorry all my reference words say 'od' and at scripture4all.net it is translated as 'Further' which means 'in addition'

Also you are still ignoring the context of verse 21.

NASB: Gen 8:21 The LORD smelled the soothing aroma; and the LORD said to Himself, "I will never again curse the ground on account of man, for the intent of man's heart is evil from his youth; and I will never again destroy every living thing, as I have done.

The context is going from 'never again' [vs21] to 'as long as the earth continues' [22] means, "from now on"

Again the 2013 is an improved translation.

(Genesis 8:21, 22) “21 And Jehovah began to smell a pleasing aroma. So Jehovah said in his heart: “Never again will I curse the ground on man’s account, for the inclination of the heart of man is bad from his youth up; and never again will I strike down every living thing as I have done. 22 From now on, the earth will never cease to have seed-sowing and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, and day and night.””

From now on and as long as the earth continues, is forever.

Edit:

What part of 'Never again' don't you understand?

Flood or Fire doesn't make a difference.

Jehovah has promised - 'he would never again curse the ground and all living things because of man'.

The cycles of life on this planet will never cease (or shall not cease) FROM when? From this [Noah's] time and every second there after, to today [our time] and every tomorrow time.

This planet will continue to produce life and forever be a source of joy and glory to our God, Jehovah.

One important function of translation is not a word for word translation [which isn't really a translation but the start of a translation], but to make the sense of the original language come through. The NWT at Gen 8:21, 22 makes this clear, and is thus a better translation.

'From this time' fits the definition of: Od: " still, yet (of continuance or persistence)"

If I say in English 'Let's go dutch' I don't mean 'let's go to Holland'. To translate this expression into Spanish I would say "Let's go American" or "Vamos con Americano'.