Will I get sued for namng my band "Jaden & The Smiths"?

My middle name is Jaden and my bandmates are siblings with their last name being Smith. We probably won't make it big or anything but is there a chance of being sued by Jaden Smith or The Smiths?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Andrew
    Lv 7
    2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

There is more than one "Jaden Smith" in the world, so the young man doesn't own the name. Plus, you're not naming your band "Jaden Smith", you're using both parts in your band name, but to be in a position to be sued, Jaden Smith would need to be able to prove that you appropriated something that belongs to him and are exploiting it for profit or defaming him by utilising it. Neither of those would be an issue here. You could call yourselves "Leo and the DiCaprios" or "Donnie and the Trumps" and there's nothing anyone could do about it, not legally anyway. Remember that people appropriate the intellectual property of others all the time - think about how many cover bands there are out there, it's not as though the surviving Beatles are going to sue some poor sod at an open mic because he happens to be doing a rendition of "Yesterday" or that J.K. Rowling is going to sue some muppet teen who's writing "Harry Potter" fan-fiction. It's incredibly unlikely that you'll ever become known to the point where your name might be an issue - in fact, it's unlikely you'd become known BECAUSE you're going to use such a stupid name. But to answer your question conclusively and definitively, there is zero chance that you would face any legal repercussions for opting to go with that name you've chosen.

• 2 years ago

Dont name your band that. And you wont have to find out. Besides its not orginal by any means.

• 2 years ago

If you are worried about people confusing you with Jaden Smith and/or the Smiths, you should choose a different name.

Rather than worrying about being sued by them, worry about the people who come to see them and get you. Those people (the paying customers, your potential fans) those people's anger will hurt your band more than any lawsuit. That disappointment from the public will prevent you from ever coming to the attention of the real Jaden Smith, 'cause your band will be a flop. Get your own name and identity.

• LM440
    Lv 6
    2 years ago

I don't know the legal answer but hopefully Jaden Smith does not even have the time to consider it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.