Why is the cloudy night sky have a red glow to it ??

8 Answers

Relevance
  • D g
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Some of the discussions are inaccurate ..

When the sun is low the sky and its cloudy between the sun and observer... The clowds hold dust particles

The light from the sun passing through air is reflrcted and reradiated in all directions the lower the wavelength the less likely its reflected or reradiated...

The light that reaches the observers eye is therfore more reddish to redish orange...

That is why

• Todd
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

You are close enough to street lights. This light can bounce off clouds, pretty bright sometimes. When I was a kid, I freaked out, because it looked like some kind of apocalypse. Where I grew up, lights were everywhere, not just street lamps. I should of figured it out, but I was only like 6 years old.

• poldi2
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

The lights of the city (streetlights are sodium vapor, which appear pinkish) are reflected by the clouds.

• 1 year ago

They're Here !!!!!!!!!!!

Attachment image
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 year ago

The red glow is because light from the red part of the spectrum is reflected off of clouds, mainly originating with artificial light. Even in rural areas with natural light this is true, though it isn't nearly so prominent.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/crux/2012/08/23/...

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

When the sun sets with a lot of dust in the air you get yourself a pretty red sunset. God help me if I'm wrong, for I am a scientist!

• Gordon
      Lv 6
      1 year agoReport

we're talking about the night sky, not the sunset.

• 1 year ago

Artificial light pollution . The clouds are reflecting back light from sodium vapor street lights. In the 1980s and into the 1990s it was blue white from mercury vapor street lights. New Orleans was very slow to change. I saw the change myself in the greater Oklahoma City area.

• Gordon
    Lv 6
    1 year ago

It's reflecting artificial light from nearby towns and cities.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.