What is the most balanced handgun a person could use in multi - purpose protection ?

If you could only carry one type of hand gun with ammo and knife to survive wilderess and against people if needed

1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

As far as handguns go probably the 10mm handgun. The 10mm handgun is capable of taking down Grizzly Bear ,but can be used in semi automatic handguns which offer better ergonomics and magazine capacity over revolvers which have horrible triggers and ergonomics. Make sure that you use the hot loaded 10mm handgun round which can deliver almost 41 magnum performance in a autoloader handgun with more than twice the ammo capacity of most revolvers on the market. Revolvers are impractical so I am not sure why other people on here recommended them. More manufacturers are making 10mm handguns ,because they are capable of taking down animals and humans. The 10mm cartridge is capable of delivering more than 600 foot pounds of energy to a target which means that it is capable of stopping almost any animal in North America including dangerous game like Bears.

• Carlos1 year agoReport

Is a .45 ACP a balanced weapon also and how the handle of 10 mm pistols

• Mr.357
    1 year ago

.357 Mag.

• 1 year ago

I like the Springfield Armory XD 45 Tactical. The only down side is you really need to carry it in a belt holster due to the weight.

• BBean
    1 year ago

The most balanced handgun is an AR-15 Pistol because of the buffer tube that counter-balances the barrel.

They have to be self-built and having a mindset to spend the money for lightweight parts.

Nothing else comes close as far as versatility.

Easy to maneuver in close places with 7"stainless steel barrel.

.223/5.56 rifle ammo(easy to get)

Small loss of velocity compared to a 16" barrel but not a big difference if one thinks about expectations.

Titanium bolt carrier cycles faster than steel. $300.

Magnesium lower receiver $180/flat top receiver less the weight of case deflector,forward assist, and ejection port cover.

Titanium skeletonized gas block $80 with standard pistol length gas tube(inconel gas tube is stronger but heavier)

Titanium barrel nut less free floating handguard (that is not needed) approx $80

Titanium magazine release button, pivot and takedown pins do not remove a lot of weight but every little bit helps.

I have an older picture before adding folding buffer tube and sling mounts. The folding adapter$250 adds a little more weight being the bulk offsets the castle nut(only) but the weight is behind the handgrip enhancing the counter balance even moreso.

Sights are absent but does very well hip shooting from self defense to survival to fun shooting to hunting and not bad to carry with sling.

Almost forgot...5 to 40 round magazine capacity and a full magazines weighs according to ammo which is a factor that is what it is.

• 1 year ago

It depends on your definition of 'wilderness'...….I live in the Alaska interior. I would not want to rely on a pistol to take care of a bear or drop a moose. Fact is I have been around allot of bears, we bumped into each other, and we both politely walked away.....not so with moose...… I one that keep trying to stomp me into the ground for over 20 minutes before I could make a break for my truck. I keep a rifle handy now, even in winter.

I have a suppressed 1911 pistol in 45acp. I would not feel very naked with it, however, the idea of carrying enough ammo to sustain a few months in the wilderness or dealing with people for that amount of time is not good. I have a suppressed Walther P-22 in 22 long rifle...…. that would be great for peeps, not so cool in Alaska but probably ok in the lower 48.

• Robin
    1 year ago

ruger alaskan in 44

1 year ago

A Glock

• 1 year agoReport

Best answer given so far. BBean would be second best, but if used a proper shorty caliber such as .300 Blackout with bonded ammo.

• 1 year ago

If you are restricted to a > hand gun < then a .22 revolver with a 4" barrel, and preferably in stainless steel.

https://www.hyattgunstore.com/smith-wesson-model-6...

Note that when defending oneself against people WHAT you shoot someone with is not important. Only hitting them is important. If you use a large caliber to shoot small game you ruin most of the meat. You can also carry FAR MORE .22 ammunition compared with a larger caliber.

For a knife it would be the Swiss Army Work Champ XL:

https://www.swissarmy.com/us/en/Products/Swiss-Arm...

• Bill-M
    1 year ago

.44 Mag Revolver like Dirty Harry has. Survive in the wild you need stopping power to stop a Bear.

• 1 year ago

Probably my 4in GP100 7shot .357mag.

accuracy, power when i need it, takes 2 types of very common ammo, easy to clean and maintain.

capacity is lacking and reloading is a pain, but in a survival situation I'm not really looking to get into situations where I need to shoot my way out.