I'm black and raised by whites?

I was adopted when I was 2 years old. I've been with my foster parents for 12 years now. I've attended schools with rarely any blacks. I don't know anything about the african American history. I love my parents but they are very strict and religious. I wanted to attend a rap concert but my parents told me no. They allowed me to attend Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga concert with out even hesitating. How do I ask my parents to allow me to be around blacks more, learn black culture and to trust me more?

1 year ago

Why do you want to be around "black culture"? What are you looking for? If you can find healthy reasons to be around that culture that appeal to your parent's values, then make a case.

However....

My nieces are half-black. The ones that got into the rap music and thug culture have since made poor life decisions. The thing to look at is what the fruit of the culture you're interested in is. IF it's the "thug life", then your parents are shielding you from a culture that promotes bad decisions.

• Joseph
    1 year ago

Nobody cares, and I mean that in the nicest posible way. Your race is inconsequential, thus nobody notices, nobody cares.

• 1 year ago

It seems that you need to make some black friends. If there are not many black kids at your school, then you need to get involved with youth organizations and groups outside of school where you can meet other kids. When you go to college, you will likely be able to make some black friends.

• 1 year ago

your parents are filled with white privilege and they may not even be aware of it (though secretly they probably are) they are actually racists that are still trying to own black people and control black culture. they believe they are entitled to tell you who you are allowed to be. it is your responsibility to your community to check that privilege and fight for the pride you must have in your blackness not just for yourseld but for POC everywhere. You must go to rap shows to appreciate your people and love who you are. What your parents are doing to you is wrong. You need to educate them!

• Windom Earle3 months agoReport

you peoples are the white privilege and get whatz coming to you for your treachery. Stop keeping this proud black man down like the devil and tell him a truth! Get woke trump america

• 1 year ago

not nnuch you can do about it, when you're 18 you'll be able to go wherever you want

• SRB101
    1 year ago

First, let me start by saying your post is more eloquent than a good many posts I've read which I'm quite sure were written by much older teens. To me, this is an indicator that you're on the right track. Look, you have parents that surely love you. It certainly seems they are not "smothering" you. Also, it seems you have resources available to a precious few. I graduated from a pretty-much white high school and our graduating class was the smallest in the history of the school, that, in spite of the fact we had the largest student body in its history, which I must add was built in 1928. Your yearnings are normal but don't over-commit your time, effort and expense to discover, "who you are". Stay on track.

Besides, it's not where you're from that counts...it's where you're going. Okay, that's pretty cliche, but you get the point.

1 year ago

culture is not hereditary it is how you are raised

culture does not make you responsible for the mistakes of your ancestors nor do you get accolades for your ancestors achievements

it is simple you stand on your own merit or mistakes

as for the excuse you attended one concert justified the other has no bearing on it, they are your parents

RAP concerts are noted problems events. -- ME I would not let you attend a gaga or beiber concert they too are problems waiting to happen ,,, I do not buy the idea your parents are extremely religious and yet let you attend those two concerts.

But I would not let a 14 year old go to any concerts of times so feel lucky you saw the others

you can pickup books read on history including that of "africa" but I do not think that is what you are wanting to know.. you like the hippies of the 60s want to pretend you will make a difference but do not want to put lots of effort just hang out and be cool

While still dependent on your parents

rebellion is normal ,, surviving it is optional on your behalf

RAP is not your culture it is choice in entertainment,,,, does not make it good or bad

if you want to be truly rebellious try being a conservative life style black,,it takes courage intelligence and it is HARD... because the RAP type culture is self destruct in life and self pity in result no effort at all

NAAA you want to be a problem and have no idea how unhappy it will make you

• 1 year ago

Thats a problem many trolls have especially under democrat control.

• 1 year ago

I relate to this a lot. I also feel not connected to my culture and idk how to get connected to it. You should talk to ur parents cause you gotta do this for you and be understanding if they don’t know what to do cause there might not be I opportunities where ur at. But this is important and u need to let them know how u feel. They’ll know u still love them.

• Dips1 year agoReport

I mean your culture isn't decided by that though. The only important culture people in the us should be worried about it American culture.

• 1 year ago

THat's new this day and age.