What happened on Whatsapp?

So basically I've been speaking to this guy from whatsapp for a while &&& today we were talking over the phone... then he told me he needed to go to the bathroom, so he went & I waited for him to return... && I thought I finally heard him so I spoke...but then the call hung up.. & I... show more So basically I've been speaking to this guy from whatsapp for a while &&& today we were talking over the phone... then he told me he needed to go to the bathroom, so he went & I waited for him to return... && I thought I finally heard him so I spoke...but then the call hung up.. & I messaged him saying "what happened"... & that got 2 checkmarks so it was delivered... then I sent him other messages & they only got 1 checkmark, then I realized that I couldn't see his display picture either. I also called & my call wouldnt go through.
I'm not sure if he blocked me... I would be really shocked if he did.. because we got along so well. He loved talking to me... & he always told me.
Butt anyways my question is.. could it be that he lost internet connection?? Or maybe his phone is turned off?
If your phone is turned off does your picture on whatsapp disappear??