For people in 40’s, do you constantly find yourself comparing current prices to prices during 80’s and 90’s?

I know inflation is inevitable. but to me, the prices during my teen and 20's which was 80's and 90's are the way it is supposed to be reasonable prices of things.

I was in CA and back then, movies were $4-7, gas was $1-2/gal, average 2 bedroom apartment rent was $500-800. Most of fastfood combo meals were $3-5. Most decent quality non luxury sedas were $10000-20000. Most dishes in restaurant were $7-15. Most theme park prices were $20-40. It seems I never really got used to prices level after 2000.

I find myself constantly comparing prices now to prices back then and feel things are just too expensive. I hardly get combo meal these days unless I have some discount coupon. I cannot possibly imagine myself going to movie and pay $15(movie)+$15(popcorn and drink) to watch one movie. I am still shocked to see how decent size 3-4 bedrooms houses are $700K-1mil when they used to be like $150K-300K back then.

I went to burgerking today to use coupon and found myself shaking my head while seeing those combo prices. I know it's kind of silly but I was just wondering how others feel. Do you find yourself never get adapted to new prices?

24 Answers

Relevance
  • Bill G
    Lv 6
    1 year ago

I am in my 50's.

I remember my mother going to the grocery store in 1969 with $20.00.

That $20.00 filled two shopping carts to overflowing with groceries.

Now you can easily spend $20.00 to barely fill a small handheld basket.

That is how much prices have changed over the last 49 years.

• Joseph
    Lv 6
    1 year ago

Of course.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

I notice it in groceries. If it is advertised as healthy it becomes more expensive. Why else would I pay more for bread than I do for gasoline?

• Fred
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

We though things were expensive then as well.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 year ago

I am 65, I can remember my first new car $2950.00 gas wars, way cheaper prices. unfortunately we cannot

do anything about it.

• Sally
    Lv 4
    1 year ago

inflation (i.e. rising prices) is not inevitable. Prices did not rise when sound money was used for the medium of exchange, Everything got cheaper until the Federal Reserve was created in 1913

Source(s): www.Mises.org
  • Anonymous
    1 year ago

Gas is too expensive

• Judy
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Get over it. I'm 75. Movies were 35 cents for kids, 50 cents for adults in neighborhood theaters when i was a kid, a little more downtown. i can remember when a burger at McDonalds was 15 cents, fries a dime. I've bought gas for 29.9 cents a gallon during "gas wars" and hamburger 3 lbs for $1 in the early 70s. My first car, a new Chevelle convertible, cost $2700. But in college I made 90 cents an hour as a cashier, then $4200 a year when I graduated as a high school science teacher.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

I certainly notice price changes, yes.

The things that have gone up that really impact my life are property tax and medical insurance.

I also notice things that have become much, much, much cheaper such as electronics. I think I can remember paying something like $400 for a VCR and $300 for a CD player. According to the inflation calculator those items cost $852 and $639 in today's dollars. People who bought big screen TVs in the late 80s or early 90s paid about two grand which would be almost five grand these days. You can get a 48" TV on Amazon for about $250.

• 1 year ago

I don't know or remember what prices were like in the 80s.

Also I grew up in the midwest but now live in silicon valley. EVERYTHING here is way more expensive even compared today's prices.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.