Can my previous employers that I used for references lie and say I was fired when I quit?

I’ve applied to three jobs now and each one said I had the job until they checked my references. I asked why they had changed their minds and they said I had a poor job reference review. They didn’t say who but I’ve only been worked at Walmart. I called Walmart and asked if they’be been giving me bad reviews and... show more I’ve applied to three jobs now and each one said I had the job until they checked my references. I asked why they had changed their minds and they said I had a poor job reference review. They didn’t say who but I’ve only been worked at Walmart. I called Walmart and asked if they’be been giving me bad reviews and why and they’ve been telling the people that check my references that I was fired when I had quit. I put in my two weeks, couldn’t finish the full two weeks so I went in the first day I could and quit. How can they claim I was fired when I very clearly quit?