Well pump has power at the pressure switch and power at control box, but still no water? I have the typical well and pump, not sure of depth?

Update:

Having problems with my water. I have the typical water well and pump, not sure how deep the well is. I am getting power to the control box and power at the pressure switch. When i tried to reset my control box (button underneath) the first time it clicked, but still no water. Checked and reset all breakers without success. Any ideas??

6 Answers

Relevance
  • M.
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

There is no "typical" well and pump.

Where is the pump?

In a well house?

or

At the bottom of the well?

A well typically has a motorized pump.

So where is that motor?

Have you considered that the motor has malfunctioned?

• 1 year ago

measure the current being drawn by the pump motor [better quality hand held meter can do this] and compare to the maker's literature.

it is, of course, entirely possible that there is no more water in the well [water table has fallen below the level of the inlet] .. in which case the pump motor will spin at high speed but you'll get no water.

it is also possible that the pump motor has died and needs to be replaced.

service firm can tell you which and replace motor if needed -- at some significant cost

• David
    Lv 4
    1 year ago

Probably out of water genius. Thanks for asking.

• chris
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Your leaving out the critical details!

First thing, check to see if power is going from the switch to the pump.

If no, replace the switch! These contacts sometimes arc and build up points that keep the other leg from making contact.

Above ground pump? if you have power at the pump but pump does not run, replace pump. If pump runs but does not pump water, it may have lost its prime. (possible a bad or leaky foot valve in the well.

One "tell tell" sign is that the pump gets hot quickly.

In-ground pump? It's possible you have lost the electrical connection to the pump. Many older wells were installed without spacers that keep the pump centered when it kicks on. Without spacers, the pump slams into the well casing, and in cases like mine, can smash or sever the wire.

My well is in my basement, I had to pull 70 feet of plastic pipe and the pump up and out through a small window into my driveway. I found the broken wires about a foot above the pump. Cheap fix, but pain in the butt job!

• chris
      Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

Bottom line, if you have voltage going into the well, it's either the pump, wires or lack of water. Your going to have to pull it out to figure it out.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 year ago

it isnt turning the pump on. I have a cycle stop valve installed but otherwise its the typical sub pump. its 240, not sure of amps. What should be the correct range for the contacts voltage? Its a 3 wire system

• M.
      Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

If there is 240 volts on the wires going to the pump, then guess what? The pump motor isn't working!

• y
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Problems? As in it isn't pumping or it is trying to pump? What are the amps, that might determine if the pump is actually working if you have a no water condition. Has the well run dry, has the expansion tank gone, is their a leak in the line. The power that you are talking about, is it 120 or 240?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.