Are Films Based On Plays Good?

Does a film adaptation of a play usually work? Aside from Shakespeare, do films based on plays really work? I quite like Streetcar Named Desire (1951) and Cat On A Hot Tin Roof (1966) both by Tennessee Williams I really would like to see Glengarry Glen Ross (1992), it is based on a play and I have seen the play... show more Does a film adaptation of a play usually work?

Aside from Shakespeare, do films based on plays really work?

I quite like Streetcar Named Desire (1951) and Cat On A Hot Tin Roof (1966) both by Tennessee Williams

I really would like to see Glengarry Glen Ross (1992), it is based on a play and I have seen the play on stage but have yet to see the film

It has fine actors Al Pacino, Jack Lemmon, Alec Baldwin, Alan Arkin and Jonathan Pryce, so a very interesting cast, sadly it has Kevin Spacey in, which I guess is why I haven't watched it yet.

Do films based on plays work?