home water heaters, should I go tankless?

20 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 year ago

If you are talking electric, first you must have 240 service. And second, the maximum amperes your wiring can deliver, usually 20. That would equal 4800 watts. So you could support a 4000 watt tankless, maximum.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

Millions of people use thicker wires to provide more power to larger water heaters, assuming the OP is even asking about an electrical heater.

• 1 year ago

usually requires re-wiring since there is no 220v supply where you'll want to put tthe heaters

• 1 year ago

No

• 1 year ago

Only if your existing gas service is big enough to supply the extra gas supply a tankless heater needs otherwise you will need a new gas service . Only a plumber can size gas pipes and tell you that , I should know because I am a plumber

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

Plumbers don't always know anything about gas-fitting because they are different regulations and standards, not to mention that OP could be asking about an ELECTRIC water heater.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 year ago

Yes.

• Ann
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

We live in a town house, and our place is totally electric. We have an Eco Smart, which we like very much. It gives continual hot water and it supplies our needs very well. I will say that we previously had a Bosch, which is one of the oldest companies to manufacture tankless water heaters. The Bosch would break down annually, always in January. We had to send the actual water heater to Vermont (their factory) in order to get a replacement. We always kept it in warranty. We got tired of that, so we switched brands. I have to tell you that the Eco requires two breakers on our breaker box. It uses a lot of electricity. We have no option of gas. I would still rather have one of these than the old tank water heater, that runs out of hot water after 40 gallons.

• Steve
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

MY wife and I went tankless last year. We bought a 'Rennai', I think it was. ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!. Our natural gas bill dropped to $20/month(!). Our "wet room" (Boiler, washer/drier, water heater) was very cramped. The tankless fits on the wall like a medium suitcase.

One "drawback": it is less forgiving of supplying two hot water users at the same time. Ex: If you're in the shower and the wife starts the washer, you'll feel a dip in temperature that takes longer to recover from. It's supposed to be large enough for our 2,000 sq. ft. house, but there it is. Our kids have all left, so it's not a big deal for us.

Go with natural gas, not electric! Electric would have required a serious rewiring from the electric company to increase our available amperage.

Good luck!

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

A big consideration is your source of energy. If you have an all electric house then you may have to have a separate or new service feed because a tankless electric hot water heater takes more amps than most of the appliances and other users in hour house. They only do it for a short time but still you need a much bigger service. This is loess of a problem if you are building a new house.

If you are using natural gas or propane then the costs are more reasonable to make the switch. You have to. know your usage rate and the cost of energy to make a good decision.

Supposedly the current best choice is a heater that uses a heat pump to produce hot water. It is mounted directly on the hot water tank. It works best if located in a garage or basement.

• 1 year ago

As you can probably gather form other answers, there isn't a single answer that is best in all cases. As you didn't say anything about your situation, MAYBE is the best available answer.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

how much do you use in a day ?? Any big users, like dish washer or clothes washer ?? Do you live in a south west where you can have solar water heater ?? Do you have one sink that is quite far from the central water heater ??

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

I know people in northern NH who are quite happy with a solar water heater -- not just "south west".

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.