How can I accept that I'm not pretty?

I am a 16 year old girl and I first became insecure about my looks at a very young age, when a kid at school first pointed out that I was ugly, at maybe age 7 or 8. I asked my mum why he said that, she had always called me beautiful so I didn't understand, and she just said that boys are stupid and that he was... show more I am a 16 year old girl and I first became insecure about my looks at a very young age, when a kid at school first pointed out that I was ugly, at maybe age 7 or 8. I asked my mum why he said that, she had always called me beautiful so I didn't understand, and she just said that boys are stupid and that he was just being mean etc etc. But I thought about it more and I realized, I am ugly! People have pointed out my looks often since then. I have a big nose, big forehead with a masculine hairline, bad skin, crooked teeth because I can't afford braces and they're not bad enough to get them on NHS, I'm 5ft tall which makes me look like a tree stump, no beautiful full lips or thick hair. I am just not very pretty.

I sometimes just forget about it for a few weeks and I start to think when I look in the mirror in the morning 'I actually look quite nice' but I always end up remembering it and it really gets me down. I try and talk to my mum about it but she just rolls her eyes and says something like 'I'm not in the mood for this, you're not ugly go away'. I can't talk to my friends about it because they are beautiful and I don't want to make them uncomfortable. It seems like a stupid problem but, in this day and age, it's like you ARE what you look like! How can I get over this?

Thankyou.
25 answers 25