Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 year ago

Neighbors constantly sitting on stairs that lead up to my apartment.?

Been living in my apartment for almost 10 year s. Haven t had any problems with the neighbor s untill now. Recently about 4 or 4 families moved in. (Diffrent apartments) they all hang out, outside talking being loud kids everywhere. Okay whatever that s not my issue. The apartments are upstairs and down stairs unit s. I live upstairs. My issue is everytime i come home or need to leave they re sitting on the stairs and won t move unless i ask them to. They will budge over just a bit leaving my self and kid s barley enough room to walk down. I come home and I m standing in front of them and they won t move and I ve tried to ask them nicely when they see me coming if they can move and they just say they don t understand English. Even though I ve asked them to move and they have, so they have to know what im saying. They do it after hour s. I m frustrated especially now that i have a broken foot and need to hang on to railing and carry my crutches up stairs. My 2 teen son s have been told they can t sit on stairs. Loitering in the hall s and stairs is prohibited. From what i remember when i signed my contract. Apartment management just keeps brushing it off. I live in California. Is there anything other then keep complaining to management i can do.

• 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

if you have notified the LL of the problem in writing, follow procedures to sue your LL for breaching your lease as you can't peacefully enjoy your home.

the CA tenant handbook is online and describes legal procedure

play hard ball. you have a disability, you need the stairs clear to safely walk up and down, insist you need the stairs clear as as accommodation under FHA (fair housing act).

if they speak spanish..use an online translator to explain the situation in writing..or figure out what language and translate a letter

• 1 year ago

Report to the landlord that they are "harassing" you when you are on your way up, or down - that they won't move until they have harassed you and then they make it so that you have to squeeze by them, which is very uncomfortable and you shouldn't have to be squeezed by them, touching them all over in order to get home or out. This kind of report should fix the problem. If it doesn't, call the police on them. Report harassment and tell the police that you are in fear of them because of their behavior toward you and forcing you to be squeezed by them in order to get by. That should fix the problem. Don't minimize their behavior. They should not be there at all.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • mokrie
    1 year ago

Accidentally step on them. It always works when you pinch a piece of skin---

• Jeannette1 year agoReport

Don't tempt me! Lmao

• 1 year ago

you could try taking the elevator if they have one

• Jeannette1 year agoReport

Unfortunately the stairs are my only option as it's only two stories.

• 1 year ago

Forgot to mention every unit has it's own stairs (outside) leading up to two apartments mine and the one in front of me. So the only way i can get to my apartment is those stairs.

• k am
    1 year ago

Pray about it. God cares.