What do you think this could have been and do you think it was anything harmful?

I opened a jar of tomato basil sauce and on the outer edge of the mouth of the jar there was a tiny spot of this white stuff. It almost looked as if there was paper stuck like when you peel off a sticker and the fuzzy white paper remains. It was only in one tiny spot on the mouth of the jar, like the size of the top of a pencil eraser.

What do you think there was? What are the chances it could have been mold or any type of harmful bacteria?

There was nothing in the sauce or on top pf the sauce and it looked and tasted fine. Do you think it was safe to eat?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    It was mold that you can see. If there is mold you can see, you must assume that there is bacteria that you can't see. Throw the jar away, don't eat it.

  • 2 years ago

    I wouldn't eat anything that even had anything close to resembling mold on it.

    If you know for sure that there was no way that paper could have been able to end up there then you should have thrown it away. I doubt that it will harm you, but you never know. Getting a bacterial infection in your stomach AKA "Food Poisoning" is not worth it.

  • Anonymous
    2 years ago

    Mold, don't eat it and discard the bottle. Yes it could be harmful if ate.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.