Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 year ago

Emotional support animal pay pet deposit?

Are emotional support animals required to pay a pet fee/deposit?

I have an ESA prescribed by my doctor. However, my leasing office is saying that only service animals are exempt from pet fees. I’ve never been told this, and have never had an issue with renting with my ESA.

Would anyone be able to provide credible sources that say ESAs are exempt from pet deposits?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

Property owners must waive fees or deposits normally required for individuals living with a pet, as the FHA does not classify SAs and ESAs as pets but as assistive aids. This means that property owners cannot request or demand ESA owners to pay any deposit, fee or ‘pet rent’ in exchange of this reasonable accommodation no matter what species, breed or size category the ESA belongs to.

This is Federal Law and any landlord that breaks this law is subject to lawsuit and large fines.

• ...Show all comments
    • SimplytheFACTS
      Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

there are some exceptions, limited landlords are exempt from the law, and some govt subsidized actually allows a deposit (but not monthly fee) for an ESA,but not a SD

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 year ago

There is no formal registry regarding "emotional support animals." They are NOT service animals. And there is nothing in law which exempts ESAs from pet restrictions, pet deposits, additional monthly rent for pet owners ("pet rent"), etc. No landlord has to take you & your pet, or grant you any sort of privilege.

Doctors cannot "prescribe" any emotional support animal, although they may recommend getting a pet.

• ...Show all comments
    • Jenn1 year agoReport

Well, OP is just plain wrong and I can’t take them seriously. Why speak on something you clearly know nothing about. ESAs are protected from breed restrictions, etc.

• 1 year ago

THIS IS RESEARCHED FACT, not ignorant opinion. IT IS BASED ON US FEDERAL LAW.

Under FHA, most landlords CANNOT charge a pet fee for an ESA. Some subsidized housing programs are allowed to charge a deposit for ESAs, but not service dogs

be sure you actually qualify, docs will write a note for anything. to qualify you must actually be DISABLED by a mental health condition, not just nervous or blue. the symptoms need to impact your daily functioning.

people telling you that the fee applies are giving IGNORANT OPINIONS..

I am giving you FACTS.

people on here don't know the difference between FACT and opinion

a FACT is something that has been verified to be true and based on something like a law.

My answer is FACTUAL.

Many people on here have been educated on the facts, but insist on giving inappropriate answers that violate the law. They feel it is okay to VIOLATE CIVIL RIGHTS because many people abuse the system, so they think LEGITIMATELY DISABLED people should have their rights taken away...

maybe if so many people didn't treat others so badly, there wouldn't be such as need for ESAs.....people should get emotional support from other people, but usually just get treated like crap.

ESAs fall under ASSISTANCE ANIMAL just like service dogs, service monkeys (if legal in that area), personal therapy animals, etc

see about middle of page 3 of my resource where is says they can't charge a deposit. and page 4 where it says a FEE CANNOT BE CHARGED. Notice it says assistance animals such as ESAs are NOT PETS.

(and please pick an appropriate best answer and tell the others where to shove their nonsense....it is a persistent problem on here and then they whine when they are corrected)

I don't answer questions I don't have the ability to answer...unlike others who have nothing better to do than give wrong answers..so sad.

Source(s): researched and verified FACT https://www.hud.gov/sites/documents/SERVANIMALS_NT...
    • ...Show all comments
    • Glenn S
      Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

an individual requires the animal in order to have an equal opportunity to use and enjoy the housing. The assistance the animal provides must relate to the individual’s disability.

• Judith
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Yes. It is not a service animal.

• SimplytheFACTS
      Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

no, FHA says no fee for ESAs unless some subsidized housing

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • JohnO
    Lv 4
    1 year ago

Sad but true. Too many people take advantage. You can buy those letters online.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

most places no they're not exrmpt

• Laura
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

An ESA is not a service animal and is not protected under the Americans with Disabilities Act. So yes, you need to pay a pet deposit just like any other pet owner would. Because you have a glorified pet.

• ...Show all comments
    • Glenn S
      Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

Laura is an ignorant fool that is clueless about Federal Law (HUD). https://www.hud.gov/sites/documents/SERVANIMALS_NTCFHEO2013-01.PDF

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

talk to doctor doolittle

lol

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.