Can a Restaurant have bad chef?

I am a regular at this bar/restaurant, my wife and I like going there. It is part of a huge chain and there is at least one in most towns and cities we have been too. They serve nice food, especially steak, mixed grill etc A few times we have been there recently. The meat has been burnt and hard to eat, nearly... show more I am a regular at this bar/restaurant, my wife and I like going there.

It is part of a huge chain and there is at least one in most towns and cities we have been too.

They serve nice food, especially steak, mixed grill etc

A few times we have been there recently. The meat has been burnt and hard to eat, nearly broke a tooth on it.

It has happened a few times recently, so much so that we have thought about not going there, though my friend won't stop going as the beer is cheap and of good quality.

Is it a coincidence that they had a new chef and he has been working most of the times where the food has been hard or burnt.

We saw him yesterday coming away from the bar/restaurant yesterday, so he wasn't working yesterday and my wife and I had a steak and it was delicious.

Do restaurants hire bad chef or is it just a coincidence?