Ideas on how to free up this clutter for new apartment?

I'm moving into a new apartment. I really want to free it of clutter and items and decor that is not in my taste.

But the problem is, a lot of my "clutter" consists of sentimental-type items. Little knick knacks my grandma got me over the years, paintings that have been in my family for a long time, etc. And these items mean a lot to me, and Id never want to throw them away. However, they take up a lot of space and would fill up my small apartment.

My question is: Do you have any tips or ideas on what I could do to still keep all of these valuable items, while also not cluttering up my new place? Thanks for any help!

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 year ago

Use something like printer's type trays to display small knick-knacks on the wall, so they are not cluttering up surfaces. Get rid of any things that you don't like, you only need keep a few pieces to remind you of grandma.

Choose pictures to hang on the wall and put some away (box under the bed) and then rotate these every few months.

• 1 year ago

there is only 2 things you can do with stuff like that:either put it in storage, in which case its nothing but a dust collector or display them where you can see them.

If you opt to put them in storage you may as well get rid of them as no one gets to see them and they are useless.

I learned a long time ago to either use those things or get rid of it.

When YOU die, it will mostly be thrown away. Why not use them now?

You could also choose one or 2 VERY sentimental pieces and sell the rest. Maybe make a donation to a charity in your grandma's name.

• D J
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Store this items is a cedar chest, which can be used as coffee table or end table.

• 1 year ago

Decide which ones REALLY matter to you. Display those. Put the rest in boxes. If you don't have room to store the boxes in your apartment, that is why there are storage lockers. Maybe the next place will have more room to display these things. Every few years, go through the boxes and decide which ones still really matter to you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.