Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 1 year ago

Why did a good looking popular guy do the same thing as an ugly outcast and get a totally different response?

When I was in school, I remember this kid who was unattractive and socially awkward. He would tell jokes or do something silly to get a laugh and people would just be disgusted by him and tell the teacher so he would get in trouble.

There was an attractive, popular kid who would tell jokes too and act silly, most of the stuff he did was much stupider and lamer than what the awkward kid would do. Everyone laughed at what he did and talked about it like they were talking about a great TV show they saw.

We are always told "looks aren't everything" but that sort of taught me that they are indeed the vast majority of it.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 year ago

People judge you based on how you look if you're good looking or unattractive people will look at you and treat you differently generally speaking.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

A person can become more spiritually beautiful to God by way of having true devotion to Pope St. Hilarius, an early pope of the Catholic Church.

• 1 year ago

hi that is the way of the world.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

Probably because popularity = respect. An outcast is unknown and people would rather gossip than get to know them. Outcast = weird & popular = cool. No matter what you do.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Lili
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Mother Nature -- or biology, whatever you want to call it -- causes us to respond more positively to the attractive. Even babies who have not yet assimilated their culture's beauty standards do this. It appears to be an innate response.

• social belonging. you belong by being mean to outsiders and sympathetic to insiders. teens have an absurd infatuation with the meaningless concept of reputation (at least in the context of reputation being measured by number of shallow friendships).

• 1 year ago

In psychology, this is called the halo effect. People who are considered attractive are automatically deemed to be socially more acceptable, more intelligent, kinder and more interesting.

• dave
      Lv 4
      1 year agoReport

That's why I hate "normal good looking people".

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

Isn't always looks or height, but force of character, Hitler wasn't attractive or tall, but he moved a nation.

Perhaps you dont separate charisma from looks?

• 1 year ago

You appear to understand why already, so I'm not sure why you're asking this question.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

Probably because a lot of people can be more superficial then some would like to admit.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.