Why did a good looking popular guy do the same thing as an ugly outcast and get a totally different response?

When I was in school, I remember this kid who was unattractive and socially awkward. He would tell jokes or do something silly to get a laugh and people would just be disgusted by him and tell the teacher so he would get in trouble. There was an attractive, popular kid who would tell jokes too and act silly, most... show more When I was in school, I remember this kid who was unattractive and socially awkward. He would tell jokes or do something silly to get a laugh and people would just be disgusted by him and tell the teacher so he would get in trouble.

There was an attractive, popular kid who would tell jokes too and act silly, most of the stuff he did was much stupider and lamer than what the awkward kid would do. Everyone laughed at what he did and talked about it like they were talking about a great TV show they saw.

We are always told "looks aren't everything" but that sort of taught me that they are indeed the vast majority of it.